WeGo Global holds gun prevention events in light of recent shooting

WeGo+Global+will+be+handing+out+ribbons+with+information+regarding+gun+violence+prevention+on+Wednesday.+
WeGo Global will be handing out ribbons with information regarding gun violence prevention on Wednesday.

Photo by Mayeli Vivaldo

Photo by Mayeli Vivaldo

By Mayeli Vivaldo, Editor in chief

As a way to show their support for the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting victims, WeGo Global will hold many events on Wednesday as a way to bring awareness to gun violence.

The club was inspired by the actions taken by many students in Florida after the school shooting on Feb. 14 which killed 17 people.

“Something that really impressed all of us in the club is the fact that these kids had some horrific event happen to them and almost immediately they were like ‘people need to get something done about this,’” WeGo Global adviser Maggie Haas said. “The fact that these kids had this sense of urgency that they had to do something is inspirational to our kids. ”

WeGo Global will hand out ribbons with information about gun violence prevention. There will also be WeGo Global members during lunch hours showing students how to get involved in the Never Again movement.

“We’re going to have computers set up so that people can contact their legislators directly. We’re going to have people there that can talk about how to register to vote,” Haas said.

A banner, created by art teacher David Exner, that will be sent to Stoneman Douglas High School, will be hung up in commons.

“We’re looking for students to sign it and extended their thoughts and wishes to the kids down there,” Haas said. “(It’s a way) to say ‘Hey, we’re here for you. We’re thinking about you guys.’”

The club is also encouraging students to wear orange on Wednesday, the color of the Never Again gun violence prevention movement.

Since a school walkout was not approved by the administration, WeGo Global is encouraging students to instead take part in a silent protest on Wednesday at 10 a.m during third hour.

“Students will stand for 17 minutes to pay respect to the 17 individuals that died in the Stoneman Douglas High School mass shooting last month,” WeGo Global member Zuri Rodriguez said.  “Seventeen minutes does seem like a long time, but in terms of the discussion we need to have about gun violence and safety, it is not enough.”

The school will not sanction a student walkout and students who decide to participate in a walkout could face consequences, according to school announcements Tuesday.

The administration was unavailable for an interview.

The administration showed a video March 6 during third hour about what students and staff should do if a school shooting were to happen.

“(It) was just to update students on safety and what they need to do,” division head of activities Marc Wolfe said. “The recommendations have changed over the years from everyone do exactly the same thing to, depending on the situation, you might have to run, fight, or hide.”

Following the trend started by students in Parkland, Florida, WeGo Global is encouraging students to make and upload “What if” videos to social media.

“(Students should talk about) changes they would like to see take place. There are some kids in WeGo Global that have filmed some “What if” statements as an example,” Haas said. “We’re going to have a video, hopefully, ready to show during announcements on the 14th.”

WeGo Global hopes the events help students realize their potential and impact in this movement.

“I want students to acknowledge the role they play in the goal towards gun safety and encourage them to act upon it,” Rodriguez said. “I know that this school is full of activists, visionaries, and influencers. It is just a matter of time before they realize it themselves.”