A year without a birthday

Senior, Jeremy Belingon, is a leap year baby who celebrates his birthday  Feb. 28.

Senior, Jeremy Belingon, is a leap year baby who celebrates his birthday Feb. 28.

By Ariana Alcantar, Multimedia Editor

Senior Jeremy Belingon is a leap year baby and having to wait four years for his birthday is nothing out of the ordinary.

“I love my birthday,” Belingon said. “It doesn’t have a huge impact on who I have become or anything I (have) accomplished.”

Belingon likes to joke around with everyone about the date of his birthday and has caught the attention of many.

“It is an occasion that everyone knows is coming,” Belingon said. “I tend to get a lot more birthday wishes and excitement when the actual date comes.”

While waiting for his actual birthdate, Belingon celebrates his birthday on  Feb. 28.

“I do that to keep the day in February and celebrate it in the month I was actually born in,” Belingon said. “This year, I probably won’t do anything too special because I am not a flashy kind of person. I probably would go to dinner with my friends and/or family like any other normal birthday.”

On the day he was born, Belingon has been told many jokes about his leap year birthday.

“They say, ‘what are you like 2 years old?’ or ‘you’re the smartest 5-year old I ever met’ or you’re gonna have your sweet 16 when you’re 64’,” Belingon said. “I try not to be rude, but I have to correct people when they do the math wrong.”

Belingon believes that being a leap year baby is something ‘cool’ and nothing more.

“Some people freak out when they realize my birthday is on a leap year,” Belingon said. “(Then) they realize it is not what defines me as a person.”

About the Writer
Ariana Alcantar, Editor in Chief

This is Ariana's third year on the paper. She is a senior and an ambassador for the school. She is also president of the dance team “Alegria,” a member...