Longtime union worker participates in Teachers’ Association march

Ariana Alcantar

Photo by Ariana Alcantar

Union worker, Dirk Enger, protests at the district’s office on Thursday to support the West Chicago Teachers’ Association.

By Isabela Casimiro, Perspectives Editor

Longtime union worker and West Chicago resident, Dirk Enger, wanted to support the high school teachers, so he showed up with a large flag and a sign expressing his support Thursday during a march to the high school’s district office where contract negotiations were taking place.

He also addressed the crowd of over 100 people, sharing his relationship with the school.

The Board of Education and Association have been negotiating for nearly two years. Negotiations started in April 2016. Teachers have been working without a contract since the start of school.

An authorized strike was set for Friday if no agreement is made.

Egner was one of several community members who spoke to support the teachers outside of the district’s office

“I’m out here because I’m standing out for those that had helped my family in giving them a future,” Enger said.

He gave thanks to all of the lessons and teachers that his family was able to receive at the school.

His oldest son is graduating from Appalachian State University in North Carolina with honors.

“My oldest boy graduated (from Community High School) four years ago,” Enger said. “He’s graduating with honors because of what is taught at this institution.”

Enger has two other sons that attend the school.

On his sign, Enger wrote, “They have earned the raise.”

“The problem is the state it is not funded right,” Enger said, “which I understand but why should a school district bring in supplies from their own pockets?”