Marry a co-worker in the school auditorium, why not?

Beth+Govertsen+and+Steve+Govertsen+got+married+on+June+24%2C+2007+at+the+school+auditorium.+

Photo by Beth Govertsen

Beth Govertsen and Steve Govertsen got married on June 24, 2007 at the school auditorium.

By Mayeli Vivaldo, Editor in Chief

Spanish teacher Beth Govertsen and former band teacher Steve Govertsen met, fell in love, and eventually tied the knot all at school.

When Beth was 24, after she had broken up with her, at the time, boyfriend, she came across Steve with the help of a friend and students.

“I was at a gathering and Mr. (Brandon) Fantozzi was there. I asked him if he knew any eligible bachelors. He said, ‘I do, I know one guy, but he’s kind of a dork,’ and it was Steve,” Beth laughed. “The students had been trying to set us up for a while too. We had students in common.”

Because of the push from both students and Fantozzi, Beth decided to ask out Steve on a date.

“So I emailed Steve and I asked him if he wanted to come over for dinner and I made him dinner,” Beth said.

Afterwards, the two decided to become a couple and word got out about their relationship.

“It was the day before Christmas break and it was 10th hour and someone flat out asked me if I had been dating Mr. Govertsen and I just turned red. I couldn’t lie to them (students),” Beth said. “I quickly sent him an email that said ‘they know.’”

After 11 months of being together, Steve proposed to Beth.

“There was a day when I walked into his office and he was looking at houses and I asked him what he was doing and he said, ‘I’m looking for a house for me and for you.’ I was a little taken aback,” Beth said. “I went and told Profe (Susan) Junkroski. She was eating a Dove chocolate at the time, it had a little message in there and the message said ‘why not?’ and so she gave that to me and so that was the mantra, why not?”

The couple married June 29, 2007, in the school auditorium.

“We decided that because this school was kind of our place that we were going to get married here. We can’t believe it, but the administration let us do it. We got no pushback, they were excited about it happening,” Beth said. “His (Steve’s) orchestra played the music for the wedding. Mr. Fantozzi conducted the ceremony. It was so special.”

The reception, however, was held at the Morton Arboretum.

Teachers, family, friends, and students were invited to the wedding.

“People always had two reactions. They either went, ‘oh, that’s so cute’ or ‘really?’” Beth said.

Beth feels like she and Steve are perfect for each other.  

“He’s very together and very consistent and me, I’m such a spaz, I’m all over the place,” Beth laughed. “I needed someone to help me be grounded, he is so grounded, and he needed someone to perk him up a bit because you can get a little bored if you’re grounded all the time.”

Beth shares her love story with many people, especially her children Will, 3, and Maddy, 11.