Community forum set to explain unsettled teacher contract issues

Photo by Mayeli Vivaldo

West Chicago Teachers’ Association president Brad Larson gives his statement regarding the lack of a contract issue to the Board of Education and to the audience at the Sept. 19 board meeting. Larson will provide information regarding contract negotiations Thursday at community forum at the American Legion.

By Mayeli Vivaldo, Editor in Chief

The West Chicago Teachers’ Association will hold a community forum on Thursday at the American Legion in West Chicago at 7 p.m to provide information to the community regarding the unsettled contract issue.

“We believe we need to communicate to the community about the status of the negotiation, some of the proposals that are on the table, why we think those proposals are important and how those proposals affect students and the community,” president of the Teachers’ Association Brad Larson said.

The forum will include a presentation, small breakout sessions for questions and answers, and information about next steps.

Larson said the forum is important to help resolve the contract issues.

“We’ve been negotiating now since April of 2016 and having made no progress, one of the things we recognize is that the real decision makers are the members of the community. We want to provide members of the community with information (as to) what they can do to help resolve the situation,” Larson said.

Everyone in the community is welcomed and encouraged to attend the event.

“All members of the community including students, parents, and residents (should come),” Larson said. “It’s a really good way to become informed about the situation and how they can become a positive part of maintaining and improving the school district.”

The Association hopes the forum will give the attendees enough information to cause a positive change in the contract issue.

“We’re hoping they take the information and share it with other members of the community and think about the role they want to play in keeping our school a high-quality school,” Larson said. “We want them to begin communicating their expectations to the school board.”

When asked about the current situation of the contract issue, Larson said, “There have been no new agreements. The Teachers’ Association has filed for mediation (third party) and our hope is by working with a mediator we will be able to move forward and lead to a contract.”

According to Larson, depending on the feedback of this forum, there may be another forum in the future.

The American Legion is located at 123 Main St., West Chicago.