Take a bite out of low blood supplies with blood drive

Vampire+teeth+and+t-shirts+will+be+given+to+donors+at+Friday%E2%80%99s+blood+drive.+Interact+Club+adviser+Gavin+Engel+runs+the+event.+

Photo by Mayeli Vivaldo

Vampire teeth and t-shirts will be given to donors at Friday’s blood drive. Interact Club adviser Gavin Engel runs the event.

By Mayeli Vivaldo, Editor in Chief

To go along with Friday the 13th, Interact Club and Health Occupations Student Association (HOSA) will give vampire teeth to donors at the blood drive Friday.

The idea came from Interact Club adviser Gavin Engel.

“I thought it would be cute. I’m kind of cheesy like that,” Engel said.

T-shirts will also be given to donors as a gift from LifeSource, the organization that conducts the blood donations, regardless of whether students are eligible to donate or not.

The blood drive has been around for about 20 years.

“A retired counselor started it,” Engel said. “This is my 11th year and we’ve been doing it ever since I’ve been here.”

This is the first time HOSA is involved with the blood drive.

“(Scott) Albright (adviser of HOSA) approached me at the end of last year and asked if they could be involved and I said, ‘I think that’s a great partnership,’” Engel said. “We’re thrilled to have them help us out this year.”

Students planning on donating blood must sign up with Engel, a HOSA or Interact Club member beforehand.

“We want to be able to predict how many students will come each period. We also want there to be some accountability,” Engel said. “We don’t want students to take advantage of (the event) just to get out of a class.”

Although according to Engel, students are excused for the period they donate for, students should inform their teachers beforehand.

Students must be 16 or older in order to donate. Any students below the age of 18 must bring a parent-signed permission slip at the blood drive.

Staff is also welcomed to donate at the event.

“They are considered VIP, so they are moved to the front of the line,” Engel said. “They can come at any point in the day.”

Engel encourages students and staff to donate blood if they can.

According to LifeSource, one donation can save up to three lives.

In regards to the recent natural disasters, Engel said, “With all the heartbreaking events that have happened, this is a way that you can give back. You can actually give something life-saving.”

Another blood drive will be held April 13.