Meetings held to ease club issues

Photo by Mayeli Vivaldo

On Tuesday, activities director Marc Wolfe offers suggestions to students about how to continue volunteer clubs without teacher support. Principal Moses Cheng also participated.

By Mayeli Vivaldo, Editor in Chief

As a way to help clubs and club members affected by the West Chicago Teachers’ Association’s decision to stop all clubs with volunteer sponsors from running, activities director Marc Wolfe and Principal Moses Cheng held an informational meeting on Tuesday after school to provide club members with solutions.

Wolfe and Cheng will hold meetings on Thursday and Friday after school as well.

“It’s just in case the kids can’t make it today (Tuesday), but it’s the same meeting,” Cheng said.

Wolfe sent an email to all the students affected by the decision about the meetings.

During the Tuesday meeting, Wolfe addressed the club issues and concerns of the students.

“There is a lot of uncertainty and unknowns right now because maybe they (Association) could change their mind in a week or a contract could be settled in a week and this could all go away and be fine. We don’t know what the situation is right now and it might take a little bit longer,” Wolfe said. “In terms of a timeline, I can’t give you one because it could go on for this whole school year, it could go on for a week, months, it’s all up in the air right now.”

Cheng told the members their goal was to help the affected clubs continue to run.

“We’re trying to figure what’s the best way or another way we can keep the clubs running because we know that they matter to you and there are things you still want to accomplish that would require you guys to meet,” Cheng said. “We want to see if there’s a way we can make it work and help you guys with this.”

Wolfe told the members, if they wanted to continue to run their clubs, they could try to find a new sponsor.

“If we can find a sponsor in the building, a support staff, basically a non-teacher, who is willing to step in, we’re willing to move forward and have that person slide into that spot,” Wolfe said.

Regarding homecoming activities, like window painting and the homecoming parade, Wolfe told the students to contact him if they wanted their clubs to participate in them.

Seven students attended the Tuesday meeting.

Two students asked similar questions that had to do with which clubs could actually be helped and which couldn’t.

One student, sophomore Max Kazmer, asked if clubs/organizations like Snowball could continue.

Wolfe responded with, “That would be a tough one because that involves a lot of different layers of money and contracts. That’s a challenging one. You need several (sponsors). It would be tough to emulate.”

Kazmer also asked about the contract issues.

Both Cheng and Wolfe said they knew little about the issues.

At the end of the meeting, Wolfe told the students to encourage other club members to attend the next meetings and to contact Wolfe if there were any other concerns or questions.