Album debut showcases talented musician

Photo by Hector Cervantes

Many people came to listen to Jessica Garcia’s album debut “Nota Si Misma.” From back left are senior Jackeline Escalante, Spanish teacher Anne Salazar, seniors Jasmine Pena, Aislinn Morales, and Valeria Zacatzi. From the bottom left are seniors Daniela Flores and Jessica Garcia.

By Hector Cervantes, Reporter

Friends and family gathered to listen to senior Jessica Garcia’s album release “Nota Si Misma” April 13.

Her album debut was a listening party where snacks and refreshments were served. Garcia composes her own music, sings, and plays the guitar.

“There were more people than I expected to be and I felt like the people that were here really appreciated what I was doing,” Garcia said.

There are five songs in Garcia’s album. In English, “Nota Si Mismo” translates to “note to self.”

“I wasn’t looking at the people’s reactions that much since I was a bit nervous, but it seems that people liked it and they felt inspired in some way so that was my goal and I am glad that it happened,” Garcia said.

Garcia’s personal favorite song is “Mexican Vincente,” the last song to her album.

Garcia organized the event with the help of student activities director Marc Wolfe.

“I organized the event myself and then I asked Mr. Wolfe if I can just do (the event). After that, he gave me a date where I can have the student activity center so I basically practiced by then,” Garcia said.

Garcia recorded all her songs at home.

“I am really interested in music. I am not studying music in college, but I definitely see myself going into music later on in life. I do want to get another degree in college,” Garcia said.

In the past, Garcia received a $5,000 scholarship for her song “Sobrevivir” when she applied for the peermusic Latin Scholarship. Garcia performed her song in Miami.

Her album and other music are located at jessemusica.squarespace.com.

Garcia will also be performing at Relay for Life Friday.