Turnabout dance brought back by student request

Photo by Emily Wissemes

The turnabout dance is Saturday. There will be a VIP section for an additional charge.

By Hector Cervantes, Reporter

After five years, girls can now ask the boys out to the turnabout dance hosted by Student Council on Saturday.

Student Council and the sports and entertainment marketing class teamed up to plan the occasion.

“Since we have the sports and entertainment marketing class working with Student Council this dance will be a wider and a more diverse group of students,” Student Council president junior Mike Sawicki said.

The last time the school had turnabout was five years ago and then was replaced by Hoopscoming last year.

“Sales dropped a little bit but we still made a profit off of last year but there seems to be a wider push on the student body of bringing back turnabout,” Sawicki said.

The dance will be held in commons and include a VIP section for an extra $5 in the student activities center.

The VIP section includes games and refreshments and students must sign up for a designated time slot.

“This is similar to what we did at homecoming. Wearing dress shoes and high heels can be tiring, but students can now take a break from dancing and chill out,” Sawicki said.

Students who are attending will be dressing formally.

“Dress shirts and ties or khakis are recommended for the boys, but students don’t have to wear this. For ladies, we encourage them to wear a dress that they have,” Sawicki said.

Tickets are on sale during lunch hours for $15 and at the door is $20. The dance is from 7 p.m to 10 p.m.