Victory gives players a 3 game winning streak

Junior Sierra Koenig goes after the ball before getting injured in the game against Elgin. The team won 54-22 Tuesday.

By Hector Cervantes, Reporter

What started out as a rough season is now turning around for the girls basketball as the team faced Elgin High School and won 54-22  Tuesday.

“We got a win which was good. A couple of players got their first steal and assist. We now have a three game win streak,” head coach Kimberly Wallner said.

The season started off with a win against Nazareth and then the team had three consecutive losses against Glenbard North, Waubonsie Valley, and Lutheran High School.

The team then won against Oswego, Hinsdale South before Tuesday’s win.

“I think I did ok when we played Elgin. When I play I just need to relax and focus more on the game,” junior Isabella Lamantia said.

Everybody had the chance to participate in the game.

“The players that are on the bench more often got more varsity experience with this game, which I thought was nice,” Wallner said.

During the third quarter, junior Sierra Koenig was injured and did not play the rest of the game.

“The worst thing that happened was that Sierra went down with her ankle so I’m hoping that’s not going to knock her out for a long time,” Wallner said.

The team will like to see improvements in the way they communicate on the court.

“Sometimes we kind of did what we wanted to do on the basketball court. We got to work on our communication between the offense and the defense,” junior Samantha Wiegele said.

The team is noticing the improvements they have made.

“We already won more games this year compared to last year as a team so the kids are pretty excited about that this early in the season and we are trying to build more wins,” Wallner said.

The team now has a 4-3 record and will be having an away game Hinsdale South on Thursday.