Season closes with sectional qualifers

Photo by Hector Cervantes

Senior Arianna Coss qualified for the sectional meet on Oct. 29. The meet marked the end of the girls cross country season.

By Catherine Miller, Contributing Writer

Sectionals on Oct. 29 in West Aurora marked the end of the girls cross country season.

“We had a great year. (We had) the second largest team in school history and the most freshman ever,” coach Bob Maxson said. “(There was) great team bonding.”

A highlight of the season was the sectional meet. Junior Maddie Brotnow, sophomore Angela Bautista, and senior Arianna Coss all qualified and ran.

At regionals, we had some of the best teams and that just made me see qualifying for sectionals difficult. Although, I knew I worked extremely hard all this season and I couldn’t just give up,” Coss said. “When they called my name for the individual qualifiers, I was extremely happy and excited.”

Three qualifiers for sectionals is more than what the team usually sends.  

“I felt great.  I suspected two would (qualify) this year. Most years it’s only two or one,” Maxson said.

Even though none of the girls that ran in the meet had a personal best time at the race, it wasn’t a completely negative experience. Brotnow ran the race in 19:58.47, Coss finished in 21:46.43, and Bautista completed the race in 22:15.53.

At sectionals, my time was far from my best time. Although it wasn’t my best race it was a beautiful day and I sure enjoyed it,” Coss said.

The effort of the team members and bonding between them contributed to the season.

“This season was a great one, everyone worked extremely hard and it just made the season better,” Coss said.