Music department receives grant for new instruments

Photo by Emily Wissemes

The WeGo music program receives a $25,000 grant towards new instruments. Junior Luke Madden playing the trombone at Friday’s football game.

By Emily Wissemes, Editor in Chief

Several state-of-the-art, new instruments are now in the hands of aspiring musicians thanks to the Young People’s Music Initiative Grant from the JCS Fund of the DuPage Foundation.

According to the humanities division chairperson Lisa Willuweit, the foundation donated $25,000 towards new instruments that are typically too expensive for students to purchase on their own.

Cases to protect the new instruments and music stands will also be purchased, along with sound equipment to amplify string instruments during small ensemble performances.

Some students cannot progress because they do not have up to date instruments.

“It depends on the instrument, as some older instruments are prized for their warm, complex tone.  Some eventually get worn out and become unusable. It all depends on what instrument we are talking about,” band director Stephen Govertsen said.

The instruments range from new to being as old as the building.

“We have a marimba that was built in Chicago in the 1920s, a set of chimes from the 30s, and an upright bass from the 50s,” Govertsen said.

Recently they have replaced the timpani. These four drums are from a non-matched set.  Two of them are likely from the 1960s, and the other two were purchased in the ‘70s or ‘80s.

“This is an amazingly generous grant, and we are humbled to be selected. Students will have access to higher quality instruments which makes teaching more advanced techniques and skills possible,” Willuweit said.

The DuPage Foundation states on its website, its primary goal is to raise the quality of life throughout DuPage County by encouraging the welfare of others, connecting donors to area in needs and building community partnerships. The JCS Fund supports arts, specifically music and visual arts. Mainly the fund focuses on programs that provide long-term benefits to residents of DuPage County.

The foundation offers support for the people of DuPage County by making grants to not-for-profit organizations working in areas of arts and culture, education, environment, health, and human services.

“The band and orchestra programs will be able to continue to grow with the increase in instruments and equipment. We are grateful to the DuPage Foundation and the JCS Fund for supporting music programs in our schools,” Willuweit said.