Local gallery showcases student art to community

Photo by Brenna Barrett

Gallery 200 hosted a student art show featuring multiple works from art classes.

By Brenna Barrett, Reporter

Gallery 200 in downtown West Chicago is hosting students’ artwork from April 8 to April 29.

Students in all grades put together a gallery of over 30 pieces. Many types of art are showcased, ranging from drawings and photography to computer art and ceramics. According to art teacher Megan Dulkinys, the ability to showcase their work in a public gallery can give the students a feel of how the art world functions outside of school.

“I’m really proud of them honestly, it’s nice to be able to see the collection together. I teach a certain grouping of students that are in there, but I don’t teach all of those classes. So for me as a teacher it’s nice to see the work of students that I have not had in class. It’s fun for me to do that,” Dulkinys said.

Artwork from both semesters is displayed. Depending on the type of work, students have spent anywhere from two weeks to a month on projects. Beginning level classes have slightly more direction from the teacher whereas the more advanced students are able to direct the pieces themselves.

“The chance to sit down and make something and plan it in your mind and see it come forth has always been exciting to me. I think it’s important for students because it exercises their mind in different directions because they’re solving products creatively and thinking outside of the box,” Dulkinys said.

According to art student Kyra Saflarski, creating pieces can help with unwinding along with allowing to think creatively while doing something enjoyable.

“Art is a way for me to calm down and relax. Creating art helps me get my mind off of things that are stressful, it’s nice to get in the zone of something you are really passionate about,” Saflarski said.

Art students take a lot of pride in their work and even spend time after school working on some projects. Teachers picked artwork and asked students if they would like to have their pieces in the show.

“It feels great to have artwork in the gallery, even though I’m not ecstatic about one of the two pieces I have in the show. But it feels amazing to have something that the entire community can come out and see. It’s really cool, a great feeling,” junior Abigail Stavenger said.

The showcase will be open until April 29 on Thursdays and Fridays from noon to 8 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from noon to 4 p.m.