Teacher put in sticky situation to help students go overseas

Photo by Catherine Miller

Drama Club adviser Mark Begovich allows students to duct tape him to a wall in commons during all lunch hours on March 22. as part of a fundraiser. The money raised will go towards an overseas trip to compete in the world’s largest performing arts festival.

By Catherine Miller, Lifestyles Editor

To continue fundraising for their trip to Scotland, Drama Club members gave students the opportunity to tape their club adviser to a wall.

Students were able to purchase pieces of duct tape and use them to secure Drama Club adviser Mark Begovich to a wall in commons during all lunch periods on Tuesday.

Begovich agreed to be taped to the wall in order to support his students.

“I will do anything to help my students represent our country overseas at the world’s largest performing arts festival,” Begovich said.

Drama Club will be performing at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in Scotland this summer.

Although Begovich agreed to it, the fundraiser was not his idea. Sophomore Drama Club treasurer Dylan Davidson came up with the idea after hearing about a teacher being duct taped to a wall at his cousin’s school.

“Blame Dylan Davidson. Dylan Davidson is evil incarnate,” Begovich joked.

Davidson was pleased with the results of the fundraiser.

“I may be the ‘evil incarnate’ but overall I’m just glad everyone is supporting drama so much,” Davidson said.

Begovich recognizes that revenge may have motivated several of his own students to participate, but that others are just participating for the fun of it.  

“I think that many of my students want back for having to write research papers and give speeches, while other (students) are just having some fun,” Begovich said.

Drama Club has many events still to come before the end of the year including Funny For Fringe 2 and their musical, “The Drowsy Chaperone.”

“It’s a great show. It’s super fun,” Davidson said. “There are so many dance numbers. It’s going to be great.”