Dance created to celebrate and share culture

Spanish+for+native+speakers+students+practices+dances+in+the+dance+studio+and+recorded+a+video+to+promote+the+event.+

Photo by Stephanie Bowie

Spanish for native speakers students practices dances in the dance studio and recorded a video to promote the event.

By Nayeli Lara, Online Production Editor

The cultural diversity at school has inspired the Spanish for native speakers class to organize a dance to celebrate Latin styles of dance and music.

Latin Fever will take place on March 19 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in commons. It will include various music styles such as bachata and cumbia.

Spanish for native speakers classes are hosting this event as a class project to showcase Latin influences.

“The whole point of the project is to do something that impacts the whole community of West Chicago,” sophomore Emily Rivera said.

The dance is open to everyone and is seen as a learning experience to embrace other cultures.

“We need more things that involve Latin communities in general,” sophomore Yesenia Munoz said.

A dance provides a welcoming and fun environment for people to learn about foreign cultures.

“Even if you don’t know how to dance, we’re going to have a whole bunch of people there teaching you. We’ll be inviting you to dance,” Rivera said. “We’re definitely going to make it a good time. We’re going to have some food there. And we’re going to have a live banda.”

Tickets for the event are $10 before and $15 at the door.