$725
$750

Students come down en masse with ‘senior flu’

Although the skies were gray, the seniors headed to Ohio Street Beach for one last celebration together before final exams.
Photo by Ryley Salazar
Senior Ditch Day is an annual tradition dating back more than 20 years; in the past, students simply did “their own thing,” but now, Senior Ditch Day has become an organized event.

An notably high number of students were absent from school on April 29. These students – all seniors – seem to have developed flu symptoms overnight; ever-cautious when it comes to their child’s health, parents phoned in excuses so that their student could recooperate at home. Or, in downtown Chicago, as the case may be – conveniently down the street from Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

Actually, the class of 2024 at West Chicago Community High School decided to play hooky and take the Metra to Chicago in participation of the yearly student-organized event, Senior Ditch Day, earlier today.

A popular yearly tradition amongst WEGO’s seniors, Senior Ditch Day is a celebration for seniors to gather together and collectively skip class for a day.

The event was organized this year by WEGO seniors Jonathan “Jack” Walsh and Anna Pinkevich.

“Other than prom, there’s not much to look forward to at the end of the year for seniors. So, it’s a fun way to make memories and a good end to our high school careers,” Walsh said.

Ironically, the event happened to take place on the same day of the mandatory prom meeting. For students to attend the prom, they were required to attend said meeting. The senior class had a rather simple solution to this issue:

“I think it worked out for everyone because we all just decided to go to the morning meeting. And then everyone just went on the train after,” senior Mariana Acosta said.

After taking the Metra to Chicago, the seniors utilized their freedom to explore the city however they pleased. Some made stops at local restaurants, while others used creative sources of transportation such as scooters. Eventually, the senior class eventually regrouped as a whole at the designated meet up area of the Ohio Street Beach.

There, students played spikeball and relaxed with friends. A few even took a semi-polar plunge, diving into the icy cold waters of Lake Michigan.

“I think it is a very well-deserved day off, and a really good way for the senior class to all kind of come together and celebrate all that they’ve been through together,” senior Carolyn Fleming said.

Celebrating the Senior Ditch Day does not necessarily solely involve participating in the Chicago trip. Other WEGO seniors have used the day off for reasons ranging from going out with friends to taking a break from an exhausting past senior year. Ultimately, Walsh had a positive response to the outcome of his event, and remains optimistic for the future of the class of 2024.