Distinguished Sites Banner
SUPPORT US
$725
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Chicago Community High School. Your contribution will help us cover our annual website hosting costs. We appreciate your support!

INSTAGRAM FEED

Bueckers breaks buckets

The high school basketball legend is an inspiration to young athletes.
Photo by Dania Cureno
A student admires Paige Bueckers for her basketball skills while searching for an article to read.

These days, celebrities and influencers come and go just as quickly as a tube of Summer Fridays lip gloss, but there are some individuals who capture the interest of pop culture fanatics, and simply do not let go of their hold.

Paige Bueckers is one of those people. Bueckers has grown in fame since she committed to the University of Connecticut, one of the best Division 1 colleges for women’s basketball.

Her ability to bounce back from her ACL injury has inspired many young athletes to stay resilient in conflict. Fans believe she has a fiery, confident personality and a passionate love for basketball.

Fans love Paige Bueckers for her amazing talent on the court. (Photo by Sami Moesch)

Before agreeing to attend UConn, she was the number one ranked recruit and received several awards for her extraordinary talent in basketball.

She is no. 5 on the court and a point guard, but she also played as a power forward in her 2023-2024 season.

Bueckers attended Hopkins High School, where she became known as one of Minnesota’s greatest female high school basketball players. She recently developed a greater following because she blew up on social media, with over a million followers on both Instagram and TikTok. Editors on TikTok started creating edits of her which have gotten a huge amount of clout, with her hashtag on TikTok reaching 55,200 videos.

Bueckers’ performance in the 2024 NCAA Final Four grabbed lots of people’s attention for her outstanding performance and carried her team to the semi-finals, where they lost a close match with Iowa by 2 points. She helped UConn make it to the Final Four in both 2021, and 2024.

During her junior season, Bueckers suffered a torn ACL injury which cost her an entire season. She made a quick and smooth recovery and returned her senior year, and of course, people love a good comeback story, which may be part of Bueckers’ appeal. Or perhaps her notoriety has to do with her proud devotion to her faith: off the court, she preaches her love for God and His support throughout her life.

Whatever the case may be, Bueckers will be hanging on to her fame for at least another year. She decided to stay for a fifth term at UConn before potentially getting drafted into the WNBA.

Despite being so young, Bueckers has already made a mark in the world of basketball and continues to shock the world with her unbelievable talent. She is most definitely someone those ‘in the know’ know.