Distinguished Sites Banner
SUPPORT US
$575
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Chicago Community High School. Your contribution will help us cover our annual website hosting costs. We appreciate your support!

INSTAGRAM FEED

New features and repairs coming to WEGO

The high school will be adding new technology and updating some of the older bathrooms.
Photo by Juliet Payton
The all-gender bathrooms are located on the first floor of the building.

On February 20, the school board approved District 94 to undergo future repairs, replacements, and renovations as well as some installations to make the school safer.

At the last Board meeting, one of the important topics of conversation was the need for updated smoke detectors. There has been a rise in students vaping all across the United States, and at West Chicago High School as well. The Board is already trying new ways to stop students from using electronic smoking devices. However, the school needs smoke detectors in other areas around the school to better prevent future fires.

“The Board of Education approves the proposal and service agreement for a replacement for repairs of various devices, switches, smoke detectors, and pull station from Johnson Controls Fire Protection, Addison, Illinois, in the amount of $15,080.18,” board president Bob Brown said.

Currently, there are two systems the school employs to track down students who vape: one of them is the use of cameras, placed in the hallways outside of the restrooms, which allow the deans to see who goes in and out of the bathrooms at any given time. In the event that vaping is detected, the deans can determine who might have been in the restroom at a similar time.

The smoke detectors around campus are due to be replaced, and those upgrades will occur soon, according to Dan Oberg, Director of Business Services. (Photo by Juliet Payton)

WCCHS has also installed “vape detectors” inside the all-gender bathrooms.

“We don’t intend to install those into the main bathrooms. We are still looking into any other areas. In the building that we think is appropriate or beneficial to us. But we are still looking into that,” business director Dan Oberg said.

The cost of the vape detectors will come with a cost of 12,000 according to Oberg.

The summer will also see several renovations around the school the old bathrooms will be remodeled. Those in the science and math department, and also where the auditorium will be remodeled to look like those elsewhere in the school.

“For the summer, we have the Geneva Street parking lot and the pool parking lot. And there [will] also be a few doors that are going to be replaced in the building,” Oberg said.