$575
$750

Galentine’s Day is the way to go

The Galentine’s Day trend is here to stay for many years to come.
Celebrate+this+iconic+holiday+on+February+13+with+your+closest+friends.+
Photo by Sasha Baumgartner
Celebrate this iconic holiday on February 13 with your closest friends.

The group gathers in red and pink, they exchange valentines with each other and delight in chocolate hearts – spending time together as best friends. It is a little cheesy but super sweet: Galentine’s Day.

Galentine’s Day is a holiday where girls hang out together and celebrate their own Valentine’s Day regardless of their relationship status. On the day before Valentine’s Day, or the weekend before, friends hang out together and share cutesy gifts with one another. A relationship is not necessary for someone to receive a box of chocolates or a teddy bear. That is why hanging out with friends during February is the way to ensure inclusivity in the fun festivities.

“I am going to a party and I am going to have so much fun. I feel like friendship is everyday and it is something we really don’t think about but I feel like having a party is nice to think about your friendships,” junior Romina Pietanza said.

Candy hearts are a trendy treat that have sweet phrases printed on each that differ with every colored piece.

Valentine’s Day in the past consisted mostly of heart-shaped chocolates and roses for those in a relationship, but now it has evolved into a celebration for all. Originally inspired by the television series Parks and Recreation, Galentine’s Day is a celebration of friendship between women. February 13 has been marked as Galentine’s Day according to Amy Poehler’s character in the beloved series. This day allows February not to just be about romantic love but also platonic love. It is a wonderful occasion to celebrate women and have a great night with your girlfriends. 

As the years progress, more and more Valentine’s Day celebrations are moving from romantic to platonic. Most people would rather have a fun day with their family and friends. If someone is not in a romantic relationship at the moment Valentine’s Day hits, they can still participate in the festivities the day has to offer.

View Comments (1)
$575
$750

About the Contributor
Sasha Baumgartner
Sasha Baumgartner, Editor-in-Chief
Sasha is a senior, and this is her third year being a part of the Wildcat Chronicle. She found a swift passion for journalism during her sophomore year, learning how to write for fun and in many different ways. She has continued with the paper since 2021. Outside of journalism, Sasha is a member of the WEGO Dance team, a ROAR mentor and a member of National Honors Society and WEGO Global at the high school. Sasha’s main hobbies outside of school include working at a retirement community serving guests in the dining room, spending time with friends and family, and finishing up work for the Wildcat Chronicle. In the future, Sasha plans to attend college for psychology to be able to help people on a daily basis. 
$575
$750

• Mr. AielloFeb 14, 2024 at 10:43 am

Platonic love for the win.