Distinguished Sites Banner
SUPPORT US
$575
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Chicago Community High School. Your contribution will help us cover our annual website hosting costs. We appreciate your support!

INSTAGRAM FEED

How to be single in high school

The importance of working on oneself before stepping into the dating pool cannot be stressed enough.
Photo by Alexa Morales
Although some teens may dream of finding a romantic partner, it is better to stay single in high school.

Do you ever walk the hallways and see those cheesy, perhaps even downright gross, couples kissing in the hallways, causing traffic to stop? Or the over-the-top affectionate ones in school who make others uncomfortable with their antics? To some degree, one has to feel a sense of  secondhand embarrassment for them.

Being single in high school guarantees teens a better experience in some of their best years: more time to hang out with friends, fewer distractions from one’s studies, and no danger of an argument with a dramatic partner. Let’s not forget single people have richer, more diverse social lives. 

Stay away from “those men” and focus on goal-setting. Avoid looking too friendly in the hallways. (Photo by Alexa Morales)

“It’s so important to have fun these years, to spend time with friends meet new people and focus on school and yourself,” senior Nevaeh Muller said.

As such, the Chronicle presents a simple “how-to” for those who want to remain single for the rest of their high school career. Without further ado, here are the steps one must take: 

1. Always walk the hallways like you hate everyone in your sight (maintain a relaxed facial expression: no grin, just a bland look.). Appearing as unfriendly and unapproachable as possible is an important first step, and can ward off potential partners before they even get any ideas. 
  2. Express – frequently – how unattractive the guys at school are. The word “ugly” should become a constant, and be sure to explain that because there are so many cuter guys out there in the world, it is impossible to settle for one of these eyesores in the vicinity.
  3. If you do like a guy, go out of your way to talk about other males in front of him. This is a good time to bring up ex-boyfriends, male lab partners, and that funny guy in English class. Doing so will, for sure, make any potential boyfriend not want to be with you.
  4. The type of PDA no one wants to witness at 8 o’clock in the morning. (Photo by Alexa Morales)

Hate PDA. With a passion. There is nothing worse than seeing a couple tickle each other at the cafeteria table when one is trying to stomach a slice of pizza. The same can be said of those couples who seem to be playing the hand-clapping games of childhood during PE class.

5. Be delusional. Talk about a guy you think is cute as if you were dating him, and all the other guys will stay away. Refusing to accept one’s reality, and making up romantic relationships that are not actually happening is a sure-fire way to stay single.

Although growing up with iconic rom-coms like “How to Lose a Guy in 10 days”, “High School Musical”, and “10 Things I Hate About You”, suggest being in a relationship is the ultimate goal, and worth all the hassle, these are never real. Commitment is always fun to imagine, but remember, Andie Anderson is not worrying about finals. Kat Stratford’s father has a hot tub on his balcony. These are not characters with real-life problems.

It is better to live a free life in high school and wait until you are a grown adult to find love. 

View Comments (2)
Donate to Wildcat Chronicle
$575
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

About the Contributor
Alexa Morales
Alexa Morales, Features Editor
Although Alexa is a senior at WEGO, she is the captain of the dance team. Something unique about Alexa is that she was an exchange student in France for a week and a half last spring. Alexa's favorite music artist at the moment is Lana Del Rey. Looking ahead into her future, Alexa is planning to go to college to be a nurse.
Donate to Wildcat Chronicle
$575
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (2)

Any comment made will go through the Wildcat Chronicle to be approved. Obscene, suggestive, vulgar, profane, threatening, disrespectful, defamatory language will not be published. Attacks made towards race, gender, sexual orientation, or creed will not be tolerated. Comments should be relevant to the article or the writer; please respect the author and the other commenters. Comments must be 300 words or less. All comments are the property of the Wildcat Chronicle after being submitted. In order to submit a comment, a valid e-mail address must be used, and the email must be verified. Impersonating another person’s name is prohibited.
All Wildcat Chronicle Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• Mr. AielloFeb 14, 2024 at 10:36 am

Preach. Highschool relationships lead to pain and heartbreak. Single is the way to go for sure.

• Mrs. Gierzynski, subFeb 14, 2024 at 9:52 am

Very funny satire–accurate, also–especially # 1 and #3. How can you find someone to complement yourself, if you haven’t yet learned to love yourself? You need to discover what you do/don’t like first, and work toward achieving your potential.