High expectations await sectional qualifier for next season

Photo by Kyle Paup

Brotnow qualified for sectionals with a time of 19:37 at the regional meet hosted by West Chicago on Oct. 24.

By Hector Cervantes, Reporter

Sophomore Maddie Brotnow qualified for the girls cross-country sectional meet and finished 82 out of 141 runners with a time of 19:56.

“Maddie had a terrific first year in cross country. She improved with every race and ran her best at regionals. I gave her permission to see the race as a reward rather than a challenge to run a great time,” head coach Robert Maxson said.

The rain during sectionals was a setback for Brotnow on Oct. 31.

“Sectionals went well. It was really wet that day though,” Brotnow said.

Maxson has high expectations for Brotnow for the next season. Brotnow was selected to be captain along with junior Michelle Sivak for next season.

“I hope and expect her to work to improve her individual times but more importantly to pull a team together and lead by both encouragement and example. I expect that track will help this for her and the girls who choose to run track also,” Maxson said

The team qualified one runner for sectionals; however, younger runners were able to win at various times during the season.

“I was very pleased in the growth and improvement both rookies and experienced girls showed. We have a core in our sophomores that when kept together brought home three team trophies. One they even earned while not one individual was in the award category. This showed what a team sport cross-country really is and I hope they can build on this,” Maxson said.

In order to do well for the next season, Maxson hopes the girls will continue to train in the cross-country off-season by running track.

“My assistant coach, Ms. Starkey, and I are hopeful that most of the girls will run track as year-round training is very beneficial. We also hope to see the sophomore group continue to support each other, encourage each other, and improve as a team,” Maxson said.