$575
$750

WeGo’s memorable football comeback of 1992

Looking back at the 1992-93 varsity football team at WEGO.
The entire team, posed for the 1992-93 varsity football photo. (Photo courtesy of Dan Cadena).

About 30 years ago, the West Chicago community high school football team shocked the Dupage Valley Conference by going 5-4. In addition to their historical winning record for WEGO, the team bonded and formed a brotherhood that would last for years to come. 

“What made our team special was the brotherhood and bond we all had with each other.  We did everything together outside football. We looked out for each other on and off the field. It’s hard to put into words but it was a special bond. I’ve been lucky enough as a football coach at Batavia to be a part of two state football championship teams and those teams had a brotherhood that reminded me of our team in 1993,” player and alumni (‘93) Dan Cadena said.

In 1974 and 1975, WEGO’s Varsity football team were state champions, an all-time high for the program. After 1975, however, football entered a deep slump that endured until the 1992-93 season when the team totally revamped and ended the record-breaking year with the most wins since ‘75. 

“The Wildcats ended the season with a record of 5-4 overall and 3-4 in conference play, giving them their best year since the 1970’s,” Diane Yonan said in the 1993 Challenge yearbook. 

An action shot of Dan Cadena on defense catching up to the ball. (Photo courtesy of Dan Cadena).

The team was led by then-head coach Bruce Donash and assistant coaches Charles Burau and Greg “Butch” Hansen. 

“That was the best team since the 1974 Wego state champs,” Hansen said. 

The team won the majority of their games due to the chemistry on and off the field. In order to defeat other schools, the Wildcats would watch video footage of other teams. Together, they analyzed the plays and tactics used by the competition so that when it came time for WCCHS to play the opposition, they knew they would be successful. 

“I would say our success was directly due to our dedication to the sport and our coaches.  There was not one guy on that team that wanted to fail or lose. We had tremendous coaches, coach Donash was the best at motivating you but was a great listener,” player and alumni (‘93)  Brian Metcalf said. 

One highly memorable moment from the season was when the cats played against Wheaton North. The cats were down 12-0 but then in the fourth quarter WeGo came back to win 13-12. Additionally, the team defeated their number one opponent in 1993: Glenbard North. 

“We just had our 30 year high school reunion a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to make it.  My goal is to surprise our high school football coach (Bruce Donash) with a surprise party with as many people as I can try and track down from our football team before the year ends,” alumni (‘93) Dan Cadena said.

At the end of the season, 16 players earned All-Conference postseason honors: Jim Briggs, Tate Knutson, Raul Serrato, Richie Fikis, Mike Fraser, Ken Hodgen, Derek Nelson, Dan Cadena, Brian Metcalf, Alfonso Medina, John Lammers, Josh Pester, Mike Rogers, Tom Suess, Steve Walski and Carlos Ayala.

Brian Metcalf who earned an All-Conference postseason honor. (Photo courtesy of Dan Cadena).

“The general environment of the team was great. We did everything together outside of football. The best way to describe our bond, it was a brotherhood.  We all were close friends.  That’s what made the team so special,” player and alumni (‘93) Dan Cadena said.

This year the class of 1993 celebrated their 30 year class reunion which brings back powerful memories for the football team.