Distinguished Sites Banner
SUPPORT US
$575
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Chicago Community High School. Your contribution will help us cover our annual website hosting costs. We appreciate your support!

INSTAGRAM FEED

Board of Education recognizes several students; finalizes superintendent candidates in December meeting

Four students were recognized for their accomplishments this month.
Photo by Dhanveer Gill
Senior Melanie Duran is the November Student of the Month, and she was recognized by the Board of Education for her efforts to make WCCHS a welcoming place for students.

The West Chicago Board of Education concluded their final regular meeting of 2023 this Tuesday, Dec. 19 at 7 p.m. in the Community Room.

The meeting was prefaced with a moment of silence for James Oliver, a Geneva High School student who unfortunately passed away earlier this week. Oliver was a junior varsity member of the West Chicago co-op swim team.

Following the moment of silence, the final presentation on upcoming changes and adjustments to the tax levies of the district was given by Dan Oberg, which committee members voted on and approved. More information regarding changes to the tax levy updates can be found on the meeting’s supporting documents, which can be found online. Overall, there will be less than a $100 increase in taxes paid by most West Chicago residents each year. Other school financial data will be rolled out on ClearGov in the coming months as budgets are finalized.

Senior Melanie Duran was then honored for being November’s Student of the Month. Duran is the Vice President of the West Chicago chapter of the National Honor Society, and she is also on the girl’s Badminton team. Senior Kyler Campbell and sophomore Milly Mora-Zarco were also recognized. Campbell was selected to represent ILMEA District 9 at the Future Music Educators Conference, and he is the first student from West Chicago to have been accepted into the FMEC. Mora-Zarco was selected for the All-State Honors Chorus and will participate in the All-State Festival in January.

Every month, Dr. Will Dwyer chooses a student from the Principal Advisory Committee to attend a Board meeting and offer a student perspective to its members. (Photo by Dhanveer Gill)

Senior Vincent Muci was also recognized for being named a part of the IHSFCA All-State Team, and he is the second Wildcat in history to do so. As a varsity running back, he has over 1,200 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns. Senior Muaz Ali was also honored for being the Technology Center of DuPage Student of the Month. Ali is a part of the criminal justice program and is interested in pursuing a career as a judge.

Regarding the superintendent search, the Board of Education has narrowed down the applicant pool to just three candidates, and the second round of interviews will occur in January, and a superintendent will be chosen by February. The candidates will also meet with the Stakeholder Advisory Group, which is a collective of several different groups of West Chicago residents who will give input into the selection process.

“The choice of who will be the superintendent has a significant impact on the well-being and growth of a school district so we take this responsibility very seriously.  We have completed one round of interviews and currently have three finalists who will be involved in interviews with community stakeholders and have a second round of interviews in January.  The board will then make its decision and the new superintendent will begin a transition process and will take office on July 1, 2024,” Board of Education President Bob Brown said.

The Board also discussed a possible replacement for the electronic scoreboard found in the West Chicago pool. A new scoreboard was quoted to cost between $65,000 to $120,000. Further information will be available in January. The Board also passed several motions relating to the Support Staff Mentoring program and course overloads for the second semester.

The next regular Board of Education meeting will be on Jan. 16 in the Community Room, and the Board of Education encourages community members to attend.

“By attending meetings, people can be aware of what is being proposed, discussed, and decided. People also have the opportunity to make public comments at board meetings, stating their opinions about issues involving our school,” said Brown.