$575
$750

Athletic department celebrates fall sports, looks to add flag football

After several athletic teams advanced in their fall competitions, the athletic department honored these wins, and now looks to the future.

As of November, there have been advancements within the athletic department.

Brittany Abdishi stepped into her new role in late September. Previously, she taught regular gym classes while coaching girls’ golf and softball. Now that she is part of the school’s administration, she focuses most on the responsibilities within the athletics department. Abdishi works with getting teams situated in their facilities, focusing on set up, and or behind the scenes of sports. She does a lot of the scheduling for sporting events, all while making sure everything runs smoothly by supervising.

Although Abdishi has not had this position for long, she mentioned there being a bit of talk regarding potentially offering flag football for girls, especially since the sport is considered an ISHA sport. However, there is speculation as to whether there is enough interest in girls flag football to move forward with the concept.

WEGO is celebrating its many sports teams who accomplished significant gains this athletic season, and recently held a pep assembly to recognize these achievements:

Volleyball just ended their season on October 24, bringing home the conference championship. Likewise, girls’ swim won conference for their fourth year in a row, and will be going into sectionals this coming weekend.

Boys’ soccer won regionals, but fell short in the sectionals round to St. Charles East, a team that largely dominated every round they played.

Football made it to the playoffs against Quincy for the first time in 21 years.

“I have been so proud, excited and honestly honored to be a part of the athletics that have happened so far this year. Our athletes have worked so hard and accomplished so much in their seasons. Being able to watch them hit so many goals and succeed within their sports has really been such a fun way to start my new position in athletics,” Abdishi said.