$575
$750

Girls’ volleyball loses to Geneva

The team has been solid this season, but could not catch up to the Vikings during Thursday night’s game.
Photo by Brianna Romero
Middle blocker Anna Pinkevich, a senior, gets into position to return the ball to the Vikings on Sept. 21.

The Wildcats’ girls’ volleyball team lost against Geneva High School on September 21 at West Chicago Community High School. 

On Thursday at 6:00 p.m., the Wildcats went up against the Vikings in the Bishop Gym. Despite WCCHS’ efforts at defense, the first point was made by the Vikings only a few minutes of the game.

Both teams had their first 1-minute break at 6:23 p.m. with the score at 8-12 – Geneva’s Vikings in the lead.

After their break, the Vikings were again the first to score, and while the Wildcats rallied, they continued to trail the other team. At the end of the first match, the final score was 17-25 and the win went to the Vikings.

The girls’ team rallies during a timeout on Sept 21 in Bishop Gym. (Photo by Brianna Romero)

WEGO was undeterred, however.

“Feeling really excited. I think this is going to be a really competitive match. Last season, we took them to three really close competitive sets, so I’m excited to see what we do, but we’ve been playing really strong the last two weeks,” Varsity coach Mackenzie Bell said.

The competition moved quickly, and the second match began at 6:40 p.m. with some momentum for the Wildcats, who scored first. Defense faltered, though, allowing the Vikings to score 20 points in just 13 minutes.

“I just hope everyone continues having fun when playing, and puts in all their effort and energy into the game,” sophomore volleyball player Roxanna Santiago said. 

The teams broke again at 6:53 p.m. with the score being 8-20, leaving the Wildcats behind. The Wildcats’ offense put in all their effort coming back with 10 points in under 6 minutes. In very short time, the teams were neck-and-neck at 18-22. After rallying, the girls took to the court again, finishing with a final score of 23-25. It was a close game, but in the end, the Vikings took the win against the Wildcats.

There were, however, strong plays from WEGO’s team, including a solid defense from outside hitter Taylor Frake, a sophomore, and middle blocker Anna Pinkevich, a senior.  Senior Regan Miessler made some impressive saves throughout the two matches.

“This was my first time going to a volleyball game and I really enjoyed it. It was really fun, and even though we lost, it was a close game and they tried their best,” sophomore spectator Vanessa Muñoz said.