$575
$750

Fans are in luck after Joshua Bassett releases new music (after months) this morning

But how does the new track fare, and what is it really about?
Photo by Joshua Bassett
Joshua Bassett’s latest single, “Just Love” dropped on Sept. 22.

Rumors of Bassett’s new music have been speculating around the fanbase for months, but the wait is finally over. On September 15, Bassett announced on his Instagram that he would release a new single titled “Just Love” this morning. The last time Bassett released music – not including leaks or songs from his hit Disney show High School Musical: The Musical: The Series – was late 2022. 

During the week in which his music was promoted, some fans speculated that the song may be about ex-girlfriend Olivia Rodrigo, especially because she just released her second album “Guts.”

Bassett quickly addressed this gossip in his discord server: “This song and its release have nothing to do with anyone else. Period. I’m not going to change my whole release campaign because people on X [Twitter] think it has to do with other people.”

After teasing the release of the single, he also announced that it would be accompanied by a music video that he directed himself. Fans across the map were ecstatic over the news and went as far as to start a project to help promote Bassett’s music

Well, the day has finally arrived, and though “Just Love” is not the best song Bassett has ever written, it is still pretty amazing. The song has deep meaning (though up for interpretation), catchy lyrics, a slow heart-wrenching melody, and a beautiful music video. 

The lyrics of “Just Love” are hard-hitting and remind listeners that no matter what, nobody is alone. Bassett encourages listeners to choose to love one another through the tough times. 

Joshua Bassett

The song starts with a verse that highlights how so many people are dealing with heavy issues that are simply brushed away and not taken seriously. The chorus optimistically encourages listeners to choose love over all else. “Now you’re all by yourself, and you’re crying for help. But they don’t hear a sound” is a beautifully written lyric that Bassett includes in the second verse. 

At first listen, it may be difficult to grasp the intentions of Bassett’s lyrics, but with a closer analysis and a look at the music video, it is clear that “Just Love” is about Bassett’s newfound faith and love for his religion. Of course, all music is up for interpretation, and people may resonate with the song from a non-religious perspective as well.

“This is for our younger selves. For those of us who have suffered, experienced abuse, struggled with depression, addiction, felt pain and caused it. It’s a message of hope, that there is healing, and the only way forward is to reconcile, forgive, and choose love,” Bassett said of his new single.

From the standpoint of a musician, “Just Love” is great. The instrumentals are spectacular, and Bassett’s vocals are as beautiful as ever. The track is a great addition to his growing discography. It hit listeners especially hard when he sang, “Too many lost their lives and too many tears we’ve cried.” This lyric is especially heartbreaking because, at the end of his music video, a list of unfortunate statistics about suicide and other touchy topics is displayed on the screen. 

“Just Love” further proves what a diverse and talented musician Joshua Bassett really is, and is definitely worth a listen.