West Chicago’s Nolan Allen wins 3A 152lb state title in wrestling

Photo by Photo illustration by Wildcat Chronicle Staff

State Champion Nolan Allen is the Chronicle’s most recent Athlete of the Month.

By Carlos Allen, Senior Reporter

On February 18, West Chicago Community High School senior wrestler, Nolan Allen (30-0) defeated Edward Enright (19-3) of Mt. Carmel by pin to take home the 3A 152 weight class state championship at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Allen’s victory marks the first time West Chicago has won the state title since Israel Castro did so 30 years ago.

Allen reacts to the crowd after his final pin on Feb. 18. (Photo courtesy of Jamie Phillips)

Allen pined Enright in the last few moments of the second period when he was down 0-1.

“It was not my hardest match, but I did feel a lot of pressure just because there was a packed stadium. Thousands of people. And I was like, ‘Oh my goodness'” Allen said.

After the referee called the match, Allen shook hands with the Mt. Carmel coaches and Enright. After, he celebrated with coach Jamie Philips and the assistant coach. He performed a suplex on his coach as his teammates, fans, and family cheered.

“It’s really indescribable winning state, all the work to get there and to win so like the feeling is amazing, feels like you’re on top of the world,” Allen said.

For his father, Mike Allen, watching the moment recalled thoughts about “all [the] training over the years and the discipline it takes to reach his goals and finishing what he set out to do.”

Allen with his coaches following his triumph at the IHSA Wrestling State Finals. (Photo courtesy of Jamie Phillips)

In Allen’s semi-final match, he faced Aaron Stewart (41-2) from Warren to secure his spot in the finals. Stewart went on to win his third-place match against Kaden Fetterolf of Batavia.

“That was the hardest match of my season,” Allen said. “He only had one loss and it was a close match.”

As a senior, the state championship marks the end of Allen’s high school wrestling career. He finished the season undefeated.

Allen felt he improved greatly this year, even though he also went undefeated in his freshman/sophomore year.

“It was just a tougher season and I just wrestled smarter overall which is what got me this title,” Allen said.

Allen is a student at the Technology Center of DuPage (TCD) for construction and is still deciding on what he wants to do in the future.

While Allen’s dad would describe him as someone with a “high wrestling IQ,” and a “defensive expert,” Allen is uncertain if he wants to wrestle in college, though he says a few D1 schools have already contacted him. He may opt to pursue a career in construction or another trade, instead. Allen also could see himself coaching.

Allen takes to the podium after pinning his final opponent in the state championship on Feb. 18. (Photo courtesy of Jamie Phillips)

“I’ve been wrestling since I was four years old so I’m pretty knowledgeable about the sport, so I thought about it,” Allen said.

For Allen’s father, the future is full is possibility.

“Let him grow into a young man and let his compass decide where his life will take him. He will be successful wherever he lands,” said Mike Allen.

Allen will be recognized, along with boys’ swimming state champion Brady Johnson, and girls’ wrestling state runner-up Jayden Huesca-Rodriguez, in a “Parade of Champions” on March 11. Students and staff will gather at 10:30 a.m. to applaud these athletes and their achievements.

And while Allen’s victory is momentous, his father hopes he realizes “how important his friends and family are to him. He knows you come into this world with nothing, and you leave with nothing. It’s in-between that counts, with the personal relationships that you build along the way.”