School newspaper returns, just in a different format

The Wildcat Chronicle returns after a year long absence. Sports editor Nayeli Lara (left), editor in chief Kyle Paup (middle), and perspectives editor Hector Cervantes (right) make up the three members of the Chronicle staff.

By Kyle Paup, Editor In Chief

After being gone for a year, the Wildcat Chronicle student newspaper is now back in the form of a website.

Last year the journalism and journalism production classes were not available to students due to lack of enrollment. An alternative option was offered, but journalism adviser Laura Kuehn knew it would not work.

“(We were) asked to have it as a club, but I couldn’t be an adviser of a club. The time commitment to teach what you need to teach can’t be done in a club,” Kuehn said.

With the loss of a year, many changes to the journalism production process occurred.

“We lost a staff, so we’re in a rebuilding phase trying to get kids back on,” Kuehn said. “We’ve got three kids in journalism production where we would have had more kids, so we are at an extreme disadvantage and we are working with the journalism 1 kids, trying to get them pumped up to come over and then encourage other people to join the paper as well.”

The Wildcat Chronicle is now an online paper as opposed to being a print newspaper like it has been in the past. This change brings new opportunities to the distribution of news.

“Now we can have stories coming out on a daily basis,” Kuehn said. “When something’s happening we can get back to the newsroom, write the story, go to press and have it out in 24 hours or less since (the staff) can now post from home.”

Opportunities for spreading the news also appear in the form of social media.

“We have a twitter (now), so it makes us a lot more exciting and an available source for the news,” Kuehn said.

These new opportunities help make the production and distribution of the news much easier after a year long lack of news to the students.

“Last year was just really sad because I felt that the student voice wasn’t being represented the way that it could be with the student newspaper,” Kuehn said.

Now once again the staff is able to be exposed to journalism daily and represent the school like it always has in the past.

“I missed my kids, we’re like a family so I missed seeing everybody on a daily basis and giving kids the opportunity to learn and compete and bring honor to the school,” Kuehn said.

The Wildcat Chronicle now plans to move forward and remain as a source of student news for many years to come.

“It’s different but there are many opportunities here, and we’re going to take them and see where we go from there,” Kuehn said.