Girls’ flag football declared an IHSA sport

It is official: flag football is now considered an IHSA sport, and may be headed to WEGO in the coming year.
Photo by Emily Ziajor
Senior Judith Benitez rounds the corner with junior Xamantha Ramos hot on her heels during Sept. 29’s Powderpuff game, which pitted the upperclassmen against each other in a flag football showdown.

There are only 30 seconds left in the game: sweat drips down everyone’s face, and the score is too close for comfort as the opposing team sets up their play in the hopes to tie the game. Just as the athletes hit the 20-yard mark, a flag gets pulled from the runner’s belt and the clock buzzes, ending an intense game of flag football. 

Although flag football is similar to regular football in terms of rules, the main difference is the lack of tackling, made possible by a belt athletes are required to wear. These belts have two flags, which are supposed to be tugged off by opposing players as a way of substituting tackling. Flag football offers a good way to stay active, yet does not require a lot of physical contact, as seen in American football.

“It definitely has its similarities and differences. Obviously one of the biggest differences being not playing with pads, but I think that’s a great way to start something new and slowly work into getting more and more girls to participate. The game itself is very similar in how you move the ball and how you score, it could ultimately end up being a huge thing and I’m excited to see where girls football goes from there,” said junior Louis Zeitler, a football player at WEGO who aided the Wildcats in their win against Bartlett.

The annual girls junior versus senior Powderpuff game (held during Homecoming week) was the only display of flag football at West Chicago Community High School and many other Illinois schools in the past. 

However, girls’ flag football is now recognized by Illinois High School Association (IHSA) as an official fall sport, beginning in 2024.  

“The addition of Girls Flag Football furthers the IHSA mission of creating participation opportunities for high school students in Illinois,” IHSA Executive Director Craig Anderson said.  

At this point in time we don’t have an official flag football team here at WEGO for next year. However, we are starting to see if we have any interest in potential students who would like to play, as well as seeing if we have any teachers interested in coaching the team. It is not out of the picture, but we have to have enough interest in order to fill a team,” interim Athletic Director Brittany Abdishi said.

This poll has ended.

Would you be interested in participating in girls' flag football?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

The interest in girls’ flag football has been proven throughout the state, and at home at WEGO. 

“I do think that if WEGO made a team lots of girls would come out due to the show up during Powderpuff. I have been told plenty of times to join by my family members, and if it came at a time where I was free, I would definitely consider it. Creating a rule where schools can have flag football is very important especially because girls aren’t expected to play a sport such as flag football, and it’s a great way to get people to try new things and show what they can do,” junior Ava Pietanza said. 

When it comes to girls’ flag football, The North East Women’s Football League is the oldest and most well known league. It started in 1971 by Frank Stork in Pennsylvania, and evolved from having six teams and/or divisions, all the way up to 28. While girls are able to try out for and play on high school football teams, few do.

“I think girls’ flag football is a great thing not only for the girls participating, but for the game of football as a whole. It’s a great way to expand the game of football and it’s audience while also giving many girls an outlet to try something new,” Zeitler said.

Other football players are inclined to agree.

“I think it’s a great idea to open up football to girls when they haven’t been able to play it in the past. Many say it’s a ‘man’s sport,’ but I think it can be enjoyable for everyone,” junior and football player Tommy Murphy said.

Girls’ flag football is only increasing in popularity and is expected to become an Olympic sport by 2028.  Girls’ sports have overall been growing immensely and with the addition of girls’ wrestling in 2022, flag football was the next big step for Illinois schools looking to offer more opportunities for female students to be active and involved in a sport they enjoy.

I think having flag football as a sport is a great idea. I think that it gives the opportunity for our female athletes who are interested in football to get to play. I am all for having as many sports as possible be an option for both female and male athletes. For example, girls wrestling becoming an IHSA sport has done amazing things for female wrestlers here at WEGO, but also all over. I am hopeful that eventually girls’ flag football can do the same,” Abdishi said.

The first step for any Illinois high school girls interested in playing flag football is to speak with their school athletic administration. Doing so would allow administration to understand the perspectives and opinions of students. If there is enough interest, then the school can go ahead and add an official team, and find a coach who would be willing to oversee girls’ flag football for the first time in Illinois history.

View Comments (1)