Freshman Claire Simon swims fly during the prelims; she would go on to take second place at the Wildcat Championships in the 100-yard backstroke.
Photo by Leslie Fireman

New coach, new chapter: Wildcat Championships make a splash at WCCHS amid Natatorium dedication

The West Chicago Community High School swimming team celebrated both a new beginning and a lasting legacy during the Wildcat Championships on September 27-28.

The West Chicago Community High School swim team showcased their dominance at the Wildcat Championships, held at their newly dedicated Dan Johnson Natatorium on September 27-28.

The team took home an impressive six gold medals, three silvers, and three bronzes, finishing in first place with a total of 303 points. West Chicago outpaced Waubonsie Valley (267), Lake Park (234), Plainfield Co-op (206), and Glenbard West/South (108), cementing their position as a powerhouse in the region.

Leading the charge for West Chicago was Claire Conklin, who delivered stellar performances throughout the meet. Conklin captured gold in both the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard freestyle, reinforcing her reputation as one of the team’s top competitors. She was also a key member of the relay teams, contributing to the team’s success in the 200-yard freestyle relay, where West Chicago secured gold.

Other standout performers included Hollyn Ambre, who took home silver in the 100-yard backstroke and bronze in the 200-yard individual medley. The relay teams, which have been a strength for West Chicago in recent years, continued their winning tradition. The 200-yard freestyle relay and 400-yard freestyle relay teams, featuring Conklin, Ambre, Audrey Lindstrom, and Amelia Murphy, claimed top finishes to round out West Chicago’s gold-medal haul.

“It was pretty hype. We were all really happy that we won,” senior Tessa Banasiak said.

This championship also marked a new era for the program, with Sophia Parr making her debut as the team’s head coach following Nick Parry’s promotion to Athletic Director. Parr, who brings over 15 years of coaching experience, expressed her excitement about leading such a talented and driven team.

“It’s an honor to step into this role and lead these amazing athletes,” said Parr via Facebook. “They’ve already achieved so much, and I look forward to building on that success in the seasons to come.”

Parr’s arrival at West Chicago comes as the team looks to build on the momentum from last season, which saw four swimmers, including Conklin, earn NISCA All-American honors. With a strong mix of experienced swimmers and emerging talent, the team is poised for continued excellence under Parr’s leadership.

“Coach Parr is a amazing mentor and coach. She’s easy to talk too and and a great listener. She gives lots of advice on swim, but also ensures we have balance with swim and life. She is constantly checks in on us and challenges us every day in the pool. She believes in us when we don’t, and she helps us be the best versions of ourselves possible. She wants the best for everyone, and I’m grateful that I have her as a coach,” senior Mia Marin said.

The Wildcat Championships also provided a moment to honor the legacy of Dan Johnson, a beloved coach whose contributions to the sport were commemorated with the dedication of the Dan Johnson Natatorium. The ceremony, held on September 28, celebrated his impact on the community and the sport of swimming, as well as the annual Dan Johnson Coaching Award, which recognizes coaches who embody his spirit of mentorship and teamwork.

“During our recent swim meet, we had the honor of naming our pool after beloved former coach, Dan Johnson, affectionately known as Deej, DJ, and it was a memorable event that celebrated his incredible contributions to the swim program at West Chicago, and the impact he had on many inside and outside of the sport. Winning the Deej Invitational was an immense honor for us girls. And to be able to receive this award on behalf of Deej and all of the hard work he put into developing this incredible program, is a true honor. It was wonderful seeing how many souls he touched and I’m happy that the award went home,” Marin said.

As the season continues, West Chicago’s swimmers will look to carry forward their winning momentum and solidify their place as one of the top teams in the state.

“It’s a cohesive unit. We joke around a lot, but we also get serious when the time is right – during meets. I would say it’s going quite swimmingly,” Banasiak said before admitting the team toilet papered her house over the weekend – all in good fun.

$725
$750

$725
$750