$725
$750

Eilish’s ‘HIT ME HARD AND SOFT’ displays powerful lyricism

Singer/songwriter Billie Eilish released her third album, “HIT ME HARD AND SOFT,” on May 17.
The album cover for Eilish’s third compilation, “HIT ME HARD AND SOFT.” (Photo courtesy of Darkroom/Interscope Records)

Billie Eilish, a young singer who rose to fame just at 15 with her single “Ocean Eyes”, slowly gained more attention over the years for her unique and reflective songs. Her songs captivate the emotions going through her mind during vulnerable experiences – such as adolescence and growing up. Although she sings in a soft tone, similar to that of whispering, her lyrics express “loud” events and ominous instrumentals; which exemplifies her differences in music compared to other popular modern artists.

On April 8, Eilish announced via social media the “HIT ME HARD AND SOFT” album to the public, and then she came out with what is her third studio album on May 17.

One of the strongest reasons to listen to Eilish’s latest music is the lyricism, which is powerful and, in many cases, relatable.

Eilish’s album opener, “SKINNY” actually hit fans quite hard because of her lyric choice. Eilish sings, “People say I look happy because I got skinny.” The lyrics contradict how it feels to have opinions formed based on a person’s body – and the effects a little comment can have on someone. The song grieves the person she once was, but also suggests she accepts herself, even using the word “pretty.” The lyrics gradually describe her change in maturity and growth in confidence, and imply she no longer needs to be validated by the internet.

“WILDFLOWER” has a similar vibe to “SKINNY,” but it focuses more on the difficulty of moving on from someone else. Eilish’s lyric reads, “But I see her in the back of my mind all the time.” She expresses how – even after letting go – the feelings are still there, just buried. She compares missing the ‘her’ of the song to “burning alive.” The feeling of losing this other person is so dreadful, the singer in a constant state of pain.

“THE GREATEST” starts slow and slowly builds up, similar to Eilish’s song “Happier Than Ever,” which was released in 2021. Many teens will relate to the lyric that states, “I’m trying my best to keep you satisfied,” reflecting how much effort one can put in, and yet it still is not enough. The song describes a one-sided relationship, and the build-up in the song conjures images of Eilish – or a subsequent speaker – gradually getting fed up with the unbalanced treatment.

“L’AMOUR DE MA VIE” has lyrics describing a situation similar to that outlined in “THE GREATEST,” but views the same situation from a different perspective. In a seemingly joking tone, Eilish “wishes them the best.” She realizes losing her mind over the person was not worth the hassle, and despite them being the “love of her life,” she is over the relationship. In high school, where relationships come and go quickly, teens will be able to relate to Eilish’s flip flopping.

While the lyricism of the album is hauntingly beautiful, the beat must be recognized too. As before, Eilish intermixes key components of different genres: at times, her lyrics are accompanied by minimal background music, and then at others, she and co-collaborater Finneas switch to stadium rock beats. Although none of the instrumentals are earth-shattering – just variations on Eilish’s previous tracks – they do add variety and interest to the album.

For example, “THE DINER” is a very unique song compared to the rest of the album, though it has a similar tune to “Breaking Dishes” by Rihanna. The lyrics echo, and the instrumentals are extensive – giving the track a dramatic flow. It is the kind of song to listen to at the gym with its fast pace and catchy beat.

Overall, the album is phenomenal and the instrumentals take fans to another world – albeit one they have visted before – while listening. The lyrics put complex feelings into words that flow beautifully within each song. Eilish outdid herself with “HIT ME HARD AND SOFT,” and created yet another successful album – and continues to impress the music industry.