WEGO falls to GBN baseball

The team was defeated on March 29, but looks to rebound in the coming games.
Baseball season at West Chicago Community High School is ramping up as March rolls into April.
Photo by Carlos Allen

On the Friday morning of spring break, the West Chicago Wildcats Varsity baseball team hosted the Glenbard North Panthers, which led to a 5-1 loss for the home team.

Photo by Carlos Allen

After yesterday’s no-hit on from Schaumburg’s freshman pitcher, Hayden Adamowicz, the Wildcats were 2-4 and looking to get their bats back into swinging mode.

Glenbard North was 3-2 and coming off a win against the Larkin Royals, where Panther pitcher Jeremy Cooney let up five runs in four innings pitched. The game against Larkin saw GBN get on the board in the top of the first inning after Zach Larison singled, bringing in senior Kaden Feinstein. Senior Lorenzo Filice then brought Larison home after a double, and the runs kept piling up for the Panthers, leading to a 15-to-5 mercy rule victory.

Today, sophomore Ashton Aldaco got called up from JV for his first Varsity start, and with a quick 10-pitch one-two-three inning, he did not let the team down.

Josh Christman (’24) got the start for the Panthers and let up an infield single to senior Tyler Heath, but the inning would end soon after with a dropped third strike from senior Kyler Campbell.

The top of the second got started with senior Wyatt Sabalaskey getting hit by the pitch for Glenbard North. GBN sophomore Filip Slomba lined out to Royal Day (’25) for the first out of the inning for Aldaco. Filice followed Slomba up with a ground ball to Wildcat senior Ryan Zalak to advance senior Santino Busco, who pinch-ran for Sabalaskey. Aldaco wrapped up the first half of the inning by striking out Glenbard’s Justin Carlson (’24).

West Chicago’s Dominic Cicero (’24) sent a deep flyball over to Filice to start the bottom of the second. Day followed it up with an infield single to shortstop Kanyn Shick. Then Leo Volk, who also got called up to Varsity for today’s game, drew a walk in his first plate appearance. Day stole third to have runners on the corners for Zalak, but Zalak struck out four pitches later to end the inning.

Aldaco kept the scoreless trend going with a hitless top of the third after a pop-up from freshman Cory Truty, a flyout from freshman Brody Libel, and a line drive to Day off the bat of Christman.

Kyler Campbell and Tyler Heath, both seniors on the Varsity baseball team, walk back to the dugout after their pregame warmups during the season opener against Hoffman Estates. (Photo by Carlos Allen)

Senior Brandon R. Heath led off the bottom of the third with a single, but was caught trying to steal second a few moments later. Junior Tommy Doyle struck out for the second out of the inning, but the Wildcats were far from done. Tyler Heath reached first base on an error from Larison, and Campbell knocked a single over Shick’s head to put runners on first and second for West Chicago.

Senior Brandon R. Heath prepares to swing as the Wildcats take on the Hawks in a previous game. Heath continues to demonstrate solid skills this season, as a hitter, on the mound, and in his position at shortstop. (Photo by Carlos Allen)

Rafael Herrera Mota (’24) followed Campbell’s single with a screamer down the third base line, which brought Tyler Heath across the plate for the first run of the game and moved Campbell to third to make the game 1-0 Wildcats. The inning ended after a deep and high Cicero flyout.

At the top of the fourth, Aldaco faced his first adversity as a Varsity pitcher: Larison poked a single to left field to start it off for the Panthers. Sabalaskey followed the single up with a liner over the head of Day for a double to advance Larison to third. Slomba smacked a hard ground ball up the middle to bring Larison and Busco home. The Panthers had bases loaded with no outs after Filice and Carlson both got singles.

Aldaco showed great poise and control throughout the inning, even after letting up two runs and being in a pitching jam. He minimized the bleeding after finishing the inning by striking out Truty, Libel, and senior Kaden Feinstein in three straight at-bats. The Panthers led 2-1.

Day hit a single to lead off the bottom of the fourth, but got picked off at second after Volk’s bunt single. Zalak was then hit in the head by the pitch, which put runners on first and second with only one out. Brandon Heath ground out into a fielder’s choice, and Doyle struck out shortly thereafter to end the inning.

Aldaco’s Varsity pitching debut came to an end at the top of the fifth when Brandon Heath took the mound. Aldaco finished the day with six strikeouts and two earned runs in four innings pitched.

Senior Joey Engstrom has been playing baseball with West Chicago Community High School for four years. (Photo by Carlos Allen)

“I think we were doing good defensively and pitching, to be honest, but we couldn’t hit and get on base to score runs,” Aldaco said.

Brandon Heath came into the game and immediately made Christman ground out to Cicero for the first out of the inning. Larison then hit a single into left field for the Panthers; he would go on to steal second and advance to third on a wild pitch on back-to-back pitches.

Sabalaskey got walked, but quickly reached second on a stolen base. Slomba brought in Sabalaskey and Larison on a liner that dropped into left field. Filice then reached first on an error from sophomore Alan Garcia. Carlson brought home the final run of the day – for either team – with a single that moved Slomba from second to make the game 5-1 in favor of Glenbard North.  

“Can’t win games by only scoring one run,” Brandon Heath said.

The Panthers’ Christman threw a complete game with zero earned runs and nine strikeouts in seven innings pitched.

Despite the loss, the Wildcats are not dejected. They start their in-conference games on April 2 when they play East Aurora at home.

View Comments (1)
Donate to Wildcat Chronicle
$575
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Chicago Community High School. Your contribution will help us cover our annual website hosting costs. We appreciate your support!

Donate to Wildcat Chronicle
$575
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (1)

Any comment made will go through the Wildcat Chronicle to be approved. Obscene, suggestive, vulgar, profane, threatening, disrespectful, defamatory language will not be published. Attacks made towards race, gender, sexual orientation, or creed will not be tolerated. Comments should be relevant to the article or the writer; please respect the author and the other commenters. Comments must be 300 words or less. All comments are the property of the Wildcat Chronicle after being submitted. In order to submit a comment, a valid e-mail address must be used, and the email must be verified. Impersonating another person’s name is prohibited.
All Wildcat Chronicle Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• Karin OwczarskiMar 31, 2024 at 8:56 am

Great job GBN!