Volunteers look to feed those in need this winter

Students from WCCHS’ National Honor Society volunteered with the West Chicago Food Pantry at Cantigny’s Winter Spectacular.
Christmas was in full swing at Cantigny on Dec. 22 during the Winter Spectacular.
Photo by Brianna Romero

Although winter break may have started yesterday, students from West Chicago Community High School’s National Honor Society came out in droves for Cantigny’s Winter Spectacular on December 22. They teamed up with Neighborhood Food Pantries to raise $5,000 for the community-based non-profit.

This is the first time NHS members have been involved in the event, and the stakes were high.

“Neighborhood Food Pantries will receive the $5,000.00 stipend from Cantigny thanks to the wonderful volunteer effort on the part of the students,” Volunteer Coordinator Tom Tawney said prior to the event. 

NHS officers Makenzie Leszczewicz and Brooke Schliephake await visitors outside of McCormick House on Dec. 22. (Photo courtesy of Brooke Schliephake)

As part of the arrangement, NHS has to commit to sending a record number of students, 40, to Cantigny. The volunteer slots were split into two shifts of four hours each. Some NHS members worked the full eight hours, serving as guides throughout the gardens and grounds. Dec. 22 proved to be a rainy day, and students were told to dress for the weather.

“It will help give food to those who need it around Christmas, which is a special time in our lives,” junior Ansh Parikh said.

Nonetheless, those volunteering believe it is important to give back during the holidays.

“Knowing that I could have a impact on the community by volunteering really moved me to sign up. I also believe that volunteering gives opportunities to create new resources, friendships, and warmth in the community,” junior Miranda Bucio said. 

Cantigny has been host to events and activities all month. The McCormick house, which recently reopened after renovations, was decorated for the holidays and includes, according to the attraction’s website, hundreds of poinsettias on display. The exterior of the home was also set-up with a holiday light show that projected on the sides of the building.

Visitors to Cantigny could also skate on the ice rink, which – with signed waiver – cost $7 per person. After wandering the grounds, those who needed to warm up or escape the rain were welcome to rent a Cocoa Cabana ($75 plus a minimum food and beverage requirement), or simply visit the Oak Lodge for a hot beverage.