Senior Sydney Bennema sets up to shoot a free throw.
Photo by Emily Ziajor

Varsity girls’ basketball defeats Lisle

Varsity girls’ basketball was victorious over Lisle High School on Dec. 9.

West Chicago Community High School girls’ basketball continued their winning streak against Lisle High School on Saturday, Dec. 9 in the Bishop Gym.

Junior Jasymn Trigueros sets up to play some defense. (Photo used with permission courtesy of Jennie Wingstedt)

The girls’ team is off to a hot start this year with an 8-2 record. The team began their season in Nov., and have kept what has mostly been a winning streak going since then. The team is led by junior Jasymn Trigueros, who, earlier this year, hit over 1000 career points (and was subsequently named the Wildcat Chronicle’s Athlete of the Week). During the game against Lisle, the Wildcats banked in two 3-pointers in the first quarter to get off to a 13-8 lead over Lisle. 

Still, the Wildcats were hard on themselves.

“I wish we had a bigger lead. We’ve played Lisle many times before, and the coach was mad that we should’ve had a bigger lead since we knew how they play,” senior Sydney Bennema said.

Going into halftime, the Wildcats maintained a 10-point lead; Trigueros led the team with 13 points. The team called a timeout to talk strategy, as they believed they should have been beating Lisle by much more, but their shots were not falling, and they were not playing at the top of their defensive game.

“We had to move around and keep our energy high. We had to make the adjustments necessary during halftime to keep our lead,” Trigueros said.

In the end, the Wildcats defeated Lisle 41-31.

The game against Lisle was the girls’ 10th game of the year, and they are trying to keep their winning record alive. The Varsity team has 15 players this year: Arianna Evans, Trigueros, Ayanna Evans, Elina Velasco, Kailey Sabala, Giselle Barriera, Bennema, Elizabeth Wingstedt, Olivia Ebelt, Alexis Leszczewicz, Makenzie Leszczewicz, Jamie Sticha, Sneha George, Jayna Vock and Miranda Enochs.

“We just have to stay playing as a team to win games,” Trigueros said.