Seniors are champs at the annual powderpuff game

Senior champs, and divine dancers: on September 29, female students participated in the traditional powderpuff game, accompanied by the Pom Boy dances.
The seniors won the powderpuff competition on Sept 29, 2023.
Photo by Emily Ziajor

The seniors defeated the juniors in the annual powderpuff football game on Sept. 29. The final score was 105-56.

The game commenced at 2 p.m. The football field was split in half, but one game, juniors versus seniors, happened on each half of the field. Senior Kali Waller, who scored multiple points, set the record for the most individual touchdowns scored in one powderpuff game. Sophia Spinelli also scored a touchdown to advance the senior team. 

“It was so fun and exciting, and it’s my last time playing as a senior,” powderpuff player Natalia Hernandez said.

“We did something special here,” senior powderpuff captain, Jack Walsh, said.

The juniors pushed and strained themselves to try and win to break the senior winning cycle, but were unsuccessful in putting more points on the scoreboard. As the coaches explained, 105 points in one powderpuff game was unexpected, and perhaps even a record for West Chicago Community High School.

“Our biggest goal was to come out here and let them have a great senior year, let them win. We didn’t even expect to break the record, but we had it in our minds because we’re the best class of ’24. We had a good defense, great offense, great coaches – we all cared about the girls, making sure they got what they needed,” senior powderpuff coach Mason Williams said.

Many of the participants were new to the game of football, and so during Homecoming week, the powderpuff team practiced on Tuesday and Thursday morning. 

“I’d say it took a little to actually get in the groove and create plays and get productive but once we put permanent positions it was fun,” junior powderpuff player Kayla Zamora said. 

Pom Boys also learned a halftime routine – choreographed by the WeGo dance captains, seniors Alexa Morales and Alexa Correa – this past week. The dance went hand-in-hand with the “Under the Sea” theme of Homecoming this year. The music included the SpongeBob theme song, “Baby Shark” and “Under the Sea”. 

“As an extrovert myself, I always liked to perform so any chance I have I take it to perform. It’s fun to see everyone out of their comfort zone,” senior and Pom Boy captain Sebastian Alvarez Soto said. 

After the powderpuff game finished, pom boys performed another dance. The pom boys were able to convince social studies teachers John Chisholm and  Jaime Garcia to join them in their final performance.