D33 Ballet Folklorico celebrates 10 years with performances in Warrenville, Glen Ellyn

As District 33’s Ballet Folklorico marks its 10th anniversary, the group continues to perform to audiences with vibrant performances showcasing traditional Mexican dance. This year, they returned to Art on the Prairie in Warrenville and performed at the Glen Ellyn Public Library on September 28, bringing their colorful costumes and lively choreography to the masses.
The performers put in countless hours of practice to ensure they know the dances, and can perform them well. Nonetheless, accidents do occasionally happen during a ballet folklorico performance. The group is always quick to regain composure and return to the dance.
Photo by Alex Rocha
Traditional costumes and heels are a must at any ballet folklorico performance, allowing the audience to see tradition come to life, and hear the sounds of the performers' dancing.
A decade of culture and tradition

As the District 33 Ballet Folklorico celebrates its 10-year anniversary, the travel team continues to impress with performances like their recent showcase at Art on the Prairie in Warrenville, followed by a vibrant appearance at the Glen Ellyn Public Library on September 28.

This year marks a decade of sharing the rich traditions of Mexican folkloric dance with the community, a milestone that has brought even more energy and passion to their performances. The ballet group is led by Leman Middle School teachers Pilar Rocha, Salvador Tamayo, and the newest coach, Gaby Lopez.

As the group has grown, they created a travel team composed of students who auditioned earlier in the year to perform at public events and showcases. In addition to the travel team, they offer a summer team open to any member of the group to practice and perform at events before tryouts for the upcoming school year. Alumni who wish to return can also serve as junior coaches, assisting with practices and performances.

Traditional costumes and heels are a must at any ballet folklorico performance, allowing the audience to see tradition come to life, and hear the sounds of the performers’ dancing. (Photo by Alex Rocha)
District 33’s Ballet Folklorico makes way on their 10 year anniversary, while being invited to Warrenville’s Art on the Prairie on September 21, 2024. For the fifth year in a row the group has been invited to perform at this celebration of art to showcase the talent of these young dancers, all in middle school. Emma Duran Rosales, an 8th grader, is part of the program, and proud of the work the group has put into each dance.
Art on the Prairie

Recently, the group was invited to perform at Art on the Prairie in Warrenville, where they have performed for the past five years. The group showcases various dances from different regions of Mexico, tailored to the requests and time available for each performance.

“It’s been a fun experience. We’ve had a pretty consistent group. Art on the Prairie is one that we have been coming to for the past five years, and we’ve had over five performances this summer. So it’s nice to come back and be part of this event,” Coach Rocha said.

Being repeated guests to this event allows for more flexibility when deciding what dances to showcase and present. Many of the girls who have danced with the group in previous years have a number of dances they are familiar with, and they are ready to adjust choreography depending on who is performing and if time allows for costume changes.

For the performance in Warrenville, the girls had two different sets of time, giving the group a short break and an opportunity to adjust the number of dances due to the heat, which was unusually warm for early autumn. The staff provided the students with cold water bottles before and after dancing.

“I like being with my friends and performing,” Megaly Loa, a seventh grader, said.

Having these opportunities to perform helps students build confidence to showcase what they have learned throughout their time in the ballet program. These summer performances provide students who are not yet on the travel team an opportunity to perform outside of the June celebration.

According to Rocha, the guests at Art on the Prairie are always welcoming and supportive of the students who perform each year. The diverse audience were invited to watch the many dances, with most of the girls performing multiple routines representing different regions of Mexico.

District 33’s Ballet Folklorico makes way on their 10 year anniversary, while being invited to Warrenville’s Art on the Prairie on September 21, 2024. For the fifth year in a row the group has been invited to perform at this celebration of art to showcase the talent of these young dancers, all in middle school. Emma Duran Rosales, an 8th grader, is part of the program, and proud of the work the group has put into each dance. (Photo by Alex Rocha)
With bright blue scarves in their hands, the dancers perform a traditional dance representing another of Mexico's states.
Continuing to celebrate Mexican heritage

The group did not slow down after their Art on the Prairie performance, and continues to ring in their tenth anniversary with colorful and engaging performances. On September 28, they brought their energy and bright costumes to the Glen Ellyn Public Library, where their choreography ‘brought the spirit of tradition to life, captivating everyone in attendance,’ according to an Instagram post.

Each ballet folklorico performance is adapted slightly depending on the number of dancers and the space available, provides an opportunity for students and visitors from neighboring cities to experience and celebrate traditional Mexican folkloric dance—a vibrant expression of culture and art.

“It helps me represent my culture as a Mexican/Latina. It’s a fun environment, and it’s fun to be around friends after school to socialize,” Emma Duran Rosales, an eighth grader, said.

For more images by Alex Rocha, check out the photo gallery located here.

With bright blue scarves in their hands, the dancers perform a traditional dance representing another of Mexico’s states. (Photo by Alex Rocha)
View Story Comments
Donate to Wildcat Chronicle
$725
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Chicago Community High School. Your contribution will help us cover our annual website hosting costs. We appreciate your support!

Donate to Wildcat Chronicle
$725
$750
Contributed
Our Goal