Wildcats fall short in close match against Bartlett but show promise for season

Despite a narrow 4-3 loss to Bartlett High School on Sept. 16, the Wildcat girls’ tennis team is optimistic about the rest of the season. With standout performances from senior Elina Velasco and junior Julia Koput, the team remains focused on improving and capitalizing on opportunities to face new opponents in an unfamiliar conference.
Junior Julia Koput swiftly returns the tennis ball to the opponent's side of the court during the meet against Bartlett on Sept. 16.
Junior Julia Koput swiftly returns the tennis ball to the opponent’s side of the court during the meet against Bartlett on Sept. 16.
Photo by Ana Hurtado

The Wildcat girls’ tennis team narrowly lost to Bartlett High School on Friday, Sept. 16.

The girls displayed a lot of talent and played with heart, they lost to Bartlett by one point.

Despite this loss, the team remains confident and looks to improve while competing throughout the season. Senior Elina Velasco easily won her singles match 6-2 and indicated that she was satisfied with her performance.

“I think I did really good today. It wasn’t too hard of a team, but I think I performed pretty well. I worked on some things, and I think I did better today,” Velasco said.

Junior Julia Koput is one of the talented single players this season, and is a leader for her teammates. Last year, she was the youngest player on Varsity, winning 17 out of 20 matches, and earned second in conference. This season she is shooting for first.

“I wasn’t playing my best on Friday and it was a bad day for me, but I was happy that I didn’t give up. I think this is a really good team, especially since everyone knows each other, so they’re my teammates and my friends at the same time,” Koput said.

Although the Wildcats lost, Coach Noah Baker has high hopes for the upcoming season.

“I’m excited that we are playing in a slightly different conference right now. The girls are going to get a chance to play some different teams they haven’t played in the last couple years. We also have one of the best singles [players] that we’ve had in the last couple of years, so I’m excited to see them do pretty well, playing against some new opponents,” Baker said.

$725
$750

$725
$750