Frisbees fly as WCCHS ushers in newest club

WE-GO Disc Golf Club is taking flight this fall as adviser Steve Brown looks to build a community of players.
Capturing aesthetic shots of the baskets, especially in scenic or challenging courses, is a common practice. Enthusiasts take photos of the landscape, action shots of players, and close-ups of the baskets with a disc either approaching or resting inside. (Photo courtesy of Jon Wirkus)

WE-GO Disc Golf Club is ready to throw some serious shade – forehand and backhand – as it meets for the first time this year on Sept. 9.

Last spring, Steve Brown, an avid disc golf player, recognized the growing interest in the sport within the local community and saw an opportunity to create a platform for enthusiasts to come together. Motivated by his passion for disc golf and a desire to share it with others, Brown took the initiative to organize the WE-GO Disc Golf Club, leveraging his organizational skills and networking abilities to rally support for the venture.

Inspired by the sense of community he experienced through playing disc golf himself, Brown believed that establishing a formal club through West Chicago Community High School would not only provide a space for players to connect but also contribute to the growth and promotion of the sport locally. With a clear vision in mind, he diligently worked to secure a suitable location for club activities, negotiate partnerships with local businesses for sponsorships, and recruit members through social media platforms and word-of-mouth.

“[I wanted] to have an outlet for students that may not be able to make sports teams, or don’t want to do sports teams, but still want to do something with their friends or with a group to try and be social,” Brown said.

As the disc golf club continues to grow and evolve, the Activities Director Marc Wolfe remains a trusted advisor and advocate, offering guidance on strategic planning, budgeting, and long-term sustainability. Together, Brown and Wolfe are committed to ensuring that the disc golf club remains a vibrant and integral part of the school’s extracurricular landscape, providing students with opportunities for recreation, personal growth, and community engagement.

I think anytime we can add something new that reaches students that have a special interest or maybe a hobby or allows them a chance to discover a new hobby, you know, it’s a great opportunity, and we should try to offer that,” Wolfe said.

WE-GO Disc Golf Club offers students a structured program that includes weekly practice sessions, friendly competitions, and skill-building workshops led by experienced players. Brown works to ensure that members have access to high-quality equipment and facilities, organizing fundraising events and equipment drives to expand the club’s resources. Additionally, the club fosters a sense of camaraderie and sportsmanship among its members, promoting values of teamwork, perseverance, and respect both on and off the disc golf course.

“Anybody can join and just be part of this little family that we have and kind of spread the word. We might do team competitions, like who can putt from make one from the farthest or who can get the best score on a course,” Brown said.

The first meeting of the year will be held next Monday in room 1183 at 3:15 p.m. Interested students may also email Brown at [email protected] for more information.

Donate to Wildcat Chronicle
$725
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Chicago Community High School. Your contribution will help us cover our annual website hosting costs. We appreciate your support!

Donate to Wildcat Chronicle
$725
$750
Contributed
Our Goal