Super Bowl LVI Predictions

Photo by Sporting News

By Chuck Baumgartner, Editor

On February 13 at 5:00 p.m., SoFi Stadium in California will see the 2 remaining teams left in the NFL playoffs – Los Angeles Rams and Cincinnati Bengals – vie for the highest honor in American football.

L.A. Rams

Kupp catching a touchdown against 49ers. (Photo by AP Photo)

The Rams have continued their success over the past few years and are back on the big stage after losing to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII 13-3. This year, the Rams traded former quarterback Jared Goff to Detroit in exchange for veteran quarterback Mathew Stafford, resulting in an additional 2 wins. Stafford also threw a league-high 17 interceptions. The Rams added future Hall of Fame outside linebacker Von Miller in a trade with the Denver Broncos, as well as 3-time pro bowler Odell Beckham Jr. to generate more depth at the wide receiver position.

The Rams have had an impressive year, statistically. In the regular season, they won a highly competitive NFC West division with a 12-5 record. The Rams also beat former Super Bowl champs the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the NFC divisional in Tampa. Copper Kupp has been a stud at wide receiver this season and had an instant connection with Stafford. Cooper Kupp totaled 145 receptions, 1,947 yards receiving yards and 16 touchdowns. Kupp was also named Offensive Player of the Year.

Donald and Ramsey. (Photo by Rams Wire)

As senior Baqar Khan said, “Cooper Kupp is one of the best receivers right now.”

The Rams defense has many big names, such as game-disrupter and defensive tackle Aaron Donald, who had 84 tackles combined and 12.5 sacks. Outside linebacker Von Miller has been at the big stage before, winning Super Bowl 50’s MVP with a crucial strip-sack on Cam Newton. The Rams also have lockdown cornerback Jalen Ramsey, who has said that he wants to guard Bengals star receiver Ja’Marr Chase.

Cincinnati Bengals 

The Bengals had incredible improvement this season, coming from behind with a 4-11-1 record in the previous year to establishing a 10-7 record in recent months. The team stormed into the playoffs, upsetting the top seeds. In the divisional round, the Bengals beat the number 1 seed, the Tennessee Titans, on the road, and then defeated the red-hot Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium in overtime.

Burrow and Chase at Louisiana State University. (Photo by Hilary Scheinuk)

The Bengals are led by sophomore quarterback Joe Burrow, who came back from a torn ACL injury suffered in his rookie season. Recently, Burrow won Comeback Player of the Year. Before the season started, the Bengals drafted Burrow’s former teammate at Louisiana State University, Ja’Marr Chase, and the connection was from their National Championship in 2020 remained.

This season, Burrow threw for 4,611 yards, 34 touchdowns, and 14 interceptions. Chase was named AP Offensive Rookie of the Year. He totaled 1,455 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns. Bengals running back Joe Mixon also scored 13 touchdowns and rushed for 1,205 yards.

Life-long Bengals fan and senior Christian Thomas had a bold prediction for the game: “I believe that the Bengals are going to win 21-0, and Joe Burrow is going to be Super Bowl MVP.”

Although Khan does not believe that the Bengals will win, he said, “Joe Burrow is inexperienced right now, but will win a Super Bowl in the future.”

West Chicago Community High School’s Super Bowl Predictions

The people of WEGO believe Burrow will be Super Bowl MVP. (Photo by Cincy Jungle)

Poll Results

As of 8:30 a.m. on February 11, 52.5% of students and staff believe the Cincinnati Bengals will win the Super Bowl.

Super Bowl MVP

Along with predicting the overall winner of the match-up, students and staff were asked who they believe will be Super Bowl MVP. The results are as follows:

• 38.9%  Joe Burrow
  • 18.6% Mathew Stafford
  • 10.1 Aaron Donald
  • 10.1% Cooper Kupp
  • 6.7% Joe Mixon
  • 5% Ja’Marr Chase
  • 5% Odell Beckham Jr.
  • 1.6% Von Miller

Sunday’s Super Bowl will also feature a half-time show starring West coast legends Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, and Kendrick Lamar. Eminem and Mary J. Blige will also be make an appearance.

Super Bowl Halftime show ad (Photo by Rolling Stone)