Creating a safe space for girls in the school with new club the Queen Bees

Special+education+teachers+%28left%29+Megan+Mistretta+and+Kara+Kroculick+sponsor+a+new+club+the+Queen+Bees+for+girls+to+talk+and+feel+safe.+Club+meets+every+Monday+and+Fridays+until+6%3A30+p.m.+in+room+251.+

Photo by Denise Carreto

Special education teachers (left) Megan Mistretta and Kara Kroculick sponsor a new club the Queen Bees for girls to talk and feel safe. Club meets every Monday and Fridays until 6:30 p.m. in room 251.

By Denise Carreto, Reporter

After being approached by a student, special education teachers Megan Mistretta and Kara Kroculick decided to sponsor WeGo’s newest club, the Queen Bees. 

“A student came to us telling us that she didn’t want to go home, so we decided to get together with a couple of other girls to provide a space safe,” Mistretta said.

The club provides a safe space for all female students to get together.

“(It is) an after school club to empower women, do service projects, and provide a safe space (for) girls to do after school and decompress,” Mistretta said.

The club meets twice a week on Mondays and Fridays until 6:30 p.m in room 251.

Although Mistretta and Kroculick are sponsors, students lead the meetings. 

“There is not anything that is particularly planned for this. We focus more on student goals and how to help them. There aren’t really any rules in place, we just go along mostly with what the students want to go with. So far privacy hasn’t been an issue, but definitely anything private will stay private here” Mistretta said. 

An interest in creating a similar club for boys has come up. 

“We would absolutely love to have a club like this dedicated to guys. I feel like for that to happen a male sponsor would have to be the one to take the initiative to start it. It is an amazing idea, and we would love for that to happen at this school,” Kroculick said. 

Wanting to create a comfortable space for all young girls is a goal Mistretta and Kroculick want to accomplish. 

“It’s a safe space for young girls to go after school where they can feel that they can be themselves, and let go of some of that stress that they might have. All girls are welcomed,” Kroculick said.