Gran Kermes for former student in need of kidney transplant

Photo by Leslie Najera-Rivas

Gran Kermes to help former student Juan M. Soto Arriaga who is in need of a kidney transplant will be held on Saturday.

By Leslie Najera-Rivas, Editor in Chief

Family members will host the Gran Kermes to raise funds for former student Juan M. Soto Arriaga who is in need of a kidney transplant at the San Andres Lutheran Church on Saturday.

“I’ve known the family from the community and (they) reached out to me and asked if there was any way that we could help as a community to raise funds,” special education teacher Helen Cortez said.

Various events are planned that will include music groups, food, and a radio show.

“The goal to get him on the kidney transplant list is $8,000, (and) that’s just to get him on the list,” Cortez said.

Staff and students are encouraged to help at the event.

“We need staff (for) maybe an hour or two of their time to supervise our students there to kind of manage a table,” Cortez said.

Cortez and the family encourage people to donate to help with the kidney transplant.

“Just anything that moves your heart or whatever you can donate if it’s time, it’s for service, if it’s financial. If you can donate food (or)  if you can just come on out and be a cheerleader on the side. That’d be great,” Cortez said.

If unable to attend the event, there is a GoFundMe that is open for donations.

The church is located at 155 N. Prince Crossing Road. The event will run from 2-10 p.m.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/juan-soto-rino-fund?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet