Staff learns like a student with ROAR

During the students’ ROAR on Feb. 28 special education teacher Catherine Thielberg, left, and Spanish teacher Sarah Gill play “egg, chicken, dinosaur.”

By Leslie Najera-Rivas, Editor in Chief

For the first time, staff will have the opportunity to participate in ROAR Friday.

“We were asked by some staff members that they were not sure what a full day ROAR looks like so we are going to be running a mini ROAR for teachers in our staff development day,” ROAR sponsor Krysta Schoenbeck said.

ROAR for teachers will be in 45-minute sessions led by team mentors.

“Teachers get to know a little bit more about our students’ population and how different things are affecting them,” Schoenbeck said.

Schoenbeck would like teachers to learn more about students with this opportunity.

“I hope they learn a lot about our student population. Here we see students on an everyday basis and sometimes we don’t get the chance or opportunity to get to know exactly what’s going on in some of their lives and what’s happening out on social media,” Schoenbeck said.

ROAR sponsor Jen Culbertson and Schoenbeck hope ROAR for teachers makes a difference in the community.

“The more teachers, students, and staff we have on board, I think the more ripple effect that we will have within our community,” Culbertson said.

Apart from teachers getting the opportunity to learn, Culbertson and Schoenbeck will get to witness ROAR mentors guiding teachers and staff.

“I think it will be interesting to have teens lead adults and I think that will take them to another level of leadership that ‘oh, we’re not just kids, but we can also help our teachers,’ which I think is important,” Schoenbeck said.