Find rhythm in Alegria dance club

Students learn the basics of merengue in Alegria’s first meeting of the year Monday.  From left, 3-year member Gladys Gomez teaches sophomore Suleima Montoya how to do a ‘sweet heart.’

Students learn the basics of merengue in Alegria’s first meeting of the year Monday. From left, 3-year member Gladys Gomez teaches sophomore Suleima Montoya how to do a ‘sweet heart.’

By Leslie Najera-Rivas, Editor in Chief

After a year of being absent, Alegria dance club is ready to teach students Latin rhythms in their after-school meetings in the dance studio.

“Alegria is an after-school club that allows students the opportunity to learn to dance, grow as a person through the process, and learn life lessons along the way that help us to participate in our communities better,” Alegria sponsor Jeff Anderson said.

Sponsors Janet Hurtado and Anderson created Alegria (originally named Equipo Danzon) January 0f 2016.

“We’re looking to grow the program again this semester as we were not running last semester.  The most students we’ve had consistently attending was about 20, and the highest number ever was over 30,” Anderson said.

Students learn styles such as salsa, bachata, swing and others taught by Luis Arturo Dance owner Luis Santillan.

“I initially met Santillan by joining one of his classes,” Anderson said. “I asked him one day if he was interested in the idea, and he mentioned he had already been hoping to get more involved in the community in this way. A month later we were up and running.”
Anyone can join and meetings are Mondays from 3:15 to 4:45 p.m.

“(In Alegria) I’ve learned that it’s about the people so much more than it is about dancing.  All of our students are great, we walk away with so many great memories,” Anderson said.

Students have had the opportunity to perform at the Taste of Glen Ellyn, Indiana Challange dance competition in 2017, and in Santillan’s dance studio.

“No one ever has to perform, but most students find that they enjoy it more then they realized, and it can be worth having a few butterflies in your stomach,” Anderson said.

Although, many students can be nervous, “Just come prepared to learn a little and laugh a whole lot,” Anderson said.