VFW offers ‘Why My Vote Matters’ speech competition

Four+seniors+participated+in+Voice+of+Democracy+in+2017.+Natalie+Thompson+won+%24750+in+the+competition.+At+last+year%E2%80%99s+award+ceremony%2C+from+left%2C+are+Jacob+Beaird%2C+Daniela+Almarales%2C+Michael+Sawicki%2C+and+Thompson.+

Four seniors participated in Voice of Democracy in 2017. Natalie Thompson won $750 in the competition. At last year’s award ceremony, from left, are Jacob Beaird, Daniela Almarales, Michael Sawicki, and Thompson.

By Leslie Najera-Rivas, Editor in Chief

The deadline for the Veterans of Foreign Wars national Voice of Democracy competition “Why My Vote Matters” is around the corner.

“Every state holds local competitions and each state will pick a winner, then all 50 winners will go to Washington D.C. Usually in February then they have another competition and they crown the national champion,” government teacher John Chisholm said.

Students must be part of a club in the school to participate and can get the permission slips from their social studies teacher.

Participants must turn in a copy of a 3-5 minute typed speech, the permission form, and their speech on a CD.

The deadline to submit the speech is Thursday.

“The event takes place in the fall but they (VFW) usually come out with a question in February or March (for the theme) then the official form and recorded speech is due in October,” Chisholm said. “By November they usually have the winners picked out.”

Chisholm encourages students to participate in the event.

“It is an easy way to get some money, everyone who participated last year got a minimum of at least $25. I think it is (also) a good way to practice your speech giving skills, (and) it also looks good on a college application that you’re actively involved in your community,” Chisholm said.