Women’s Leadership Club celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month with a treat sale

Women’s Leadership Club met in the family and consumer science kitchen Sept. 27 to bake treat options. From left, seniors Diana Mendoza, Sabrina Lutfiyeva, and Lupe Arriola baked butter cookies that they got to sample.

By Ariana Alcantar, Editor in chief

One year after its absence, Women’s Leadership Club will have a treat sale starting Tuesday during all lunch hours to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month.

“The ways we are trying to get involved this month is to take a leadership role with the Hispanic Heritage Month because we have a high Hispanic population in our school,” adviser Lauren Stewart said.

To decide which treats should be sold, the club met in the family and consumer science kitchens Sept. 27 to bake treat options, selecting only a few.  

The treat sale will consist of chicharrones, tamarind candy, and popular drinks like horchata.

The price of each item has not been determined but funds raised will be donated to a local Hispanic organization.

Last year the club was suspended while Stewart was on maternity leave, but she hopes to see the club grow this year.

“(When I left) there was some disappointment from upperclassmen that wanted to be part of it. Women’s leadership used to only be four times a year so we’re trying to make it bigger this year by having weekly meetings,” Stewart said.

The club is only open to junior and senior girls and was created to help them develop leadership skills.

“Women’s Leadership’s purpose is to empower young women to follow their interests and develop a sense of what it means to be a leader and model leadership for their peers,” Stewart said. “To help kind of grow a foundation that can be meaningful for underclassmen when they get involved. Ou our main goal is: how do we start engaging in service and spreading awareness within school about women issues?”

About the Writer
Ariana Alcantar, Editor in Chief

This is Ariana’s third year on the paper. She is a senior and an ambassador for the school. She is also president of the dance team “Alegria,” a member of the WeGo Global executive board,  a ROAR mentor, and part of the Foreign Language Honor Society. She also enjoys spending time with her family, volunteering at her church and throughout the community.