Spring blood drive gives students opportunity to save lives

Photo by Leslie Najera-Rivas

Senior Jacob Burnitz signs up for the blood drive in the counseling office. The blood drive takes place in the small gym from periods 1-9.

By Leslie Najera-Rivas, Editor in Chief

After the success of the fall blood drive, Interact Club is preparing for their annual spring blood drive on Friday.

The fall blood drive had over 100 donations.

“(I felt) great, anytime we get over 100 donations, I believe that is a very worthwhile drive,” Interact Club adviser Gavin Engel said.

Interact Club hopes to reach the same number of donations or more this year in hopes of helping those in need of blood.

“There is a blood shortage in the Chicago area so it keeps the blood supply at an appropriate level,” Engel said. “You can help someone that you didn’t even know that you’ve helped them. Each donation can save up to three lives.”

Students who wish to donate must sign up with an Interact Club member or at the College and Career Center, although no field trip forms are needed students will have to inform their teachers before signing up.

Students can pick between first to ninth period to donate.

“Every student has to sign up to donate, we don’t accept any walk-ins,” Engel said.

Students 16 and older can donate, but 16 and 17-year-olds need a signed parent/guardian permission form.

The blood drive started 20 years ago by a retired counselor.

“I love (how) the WeGo community comes together and they’re a big part of making this (blood drive) successful year to year, the amount of student involvement and shows how much our school cares,” Engel said.