Spring job fair exceeds expectations

Photo by Leslie Najera-Rivas

Over 60 students were employed at last year’s job fair.

By Leslie Najera-Rivas, Editor in Chief

Not only did the job fair on March 14 provide job opportunities for many students, but it exceeded the organizer’s expectations.

“(We got) 360 students to the fair. It was an incredible turnout and the employers were absolutely thrilled,” job fair host Anne Dragosh said.

The companies hiring were Buck Services, Carol Stream Public Works, Classic Cinemas, D33 Breaking Free Program, Hawthorne’s Backyard Barbecue, In the Swim, Ironworkers Local 393, Monarch Landing, Official Finders, Pezza Landscaping, Prairie Path Cycles, Smith and Richardson Manufacturing, Walmart, WeGo Parks, Western DuPage Special Rec, Wyndemere, Educare, and West Chicago Fire Department.

The job fair had some last minute changes.

“We had a few changes in the last two days which resulted in an increase from 14 to 18 employers, (but) the job fair went well,” Dragosh said.

This year, students as young as freshmen were welcomed to the job fair.

“(I felt) great because you can get opportunities to do more things, to get money and have an experience on what you haven’t experienced,” freshman Alexa Soto said.

Each job fair provides information on what is expected to work at the location and age requirements for students looking to be employed.

“My expectation next year is to again host both a fall and spring job fair and continue to connect those students looking to work with employers looking to hire them,” Dragosh said.

The next job fair will be in September.

“I hope that any student who is even remotely thinking about becoming employed in the near future will at least come check it out,” Dragosh said.

A student who attended this year encourages other students to participate in next year’s job fair.

“I would recommend this to other people because there’s a lot of opportunities and things that you can do,” freshman Jacqueline Ramirez said.