ROAR comes back with new plans and ideas for students

Photo by Jennifer Culbertson

Last year ROAR students and mentors did activities in the LRC as part of their field trip.

By Leslie Najera-Rivas, Editor in Chief

After a semester-long suspension because of teacher contract negotiations ROAR is back and running again.

ROAR’s in-school field trip will be on April 18.

“I’m ecstatic, I ran around the building figuring out how we could use the short remaining time to the best of our abilities to hold interviews, and mentor training,” ROAR sponsor Jennifer Culbertson said.

According to Culbertson, ROAR is a place to bring students together through values.

“ We are trying to create a connected community that demonstrates compassion, acceptance, forgiveness, encouragement, and resilience,” Culbertson said.

ROAR was an idea brought from a mentor program called Teens Activating the Language of Kindness (T.A.L.K) at Oswego High School. It became a program at WeGo in February 2015.

“We really believe in it and really believe that we’re making a difference and it’s powerful. I love that it is student lead and student-run,” Culbertson said.

The students and mentors go into small groups and do different activities like dance, sing, and play games that help people get to know each other.

Sponsors of ROAR include database administrator Beth Schuck, science teacher Krysta Schoenbeck and English teacher Culbertson.

The sponsors prepare for the in-school field trip with activities for the students.

“The day begins with small group activities designed to get students to talk to each other, break down barriers, and identify strong bonds,” Culbertson said. “There are variety of large group activities designed to encourage students to act outside of their comfort zone and to get the participants moving.”

ROAR’s goal is to bring an eye-opening experience to attendees.

“We want all students to discover the best version of themselves and realize that we are all connected, we all struggle, we all succeed, and we all need each other,” Culbertson said.