End of DACA brings concerns and worries

Photo by Mayeli Vivaldo

One student who is worried about his DACA status is senior Edgar Arevalo.

By Mayeli Vivaldo, Editor in Chief

Undocumented youths are wondering what their futures hold after the Trump administration decided to end DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) on Sept 5.

DACA was an executive order made by former President Barack Obama that protected and helped undocumented youths. It provided people who were accepted into the program with a chance to work and get an education legally in the United States.

At school, people are concerned about the future of DACA participants including Anne Salazar, a Spanish teacher worried about her students.

“I have so many of my students that have DACA. This is truly heartbreaking. I don’t think that students who really work so hard for their own future should be denied the opportunity to participate in this society. The fear is very real for the 800,000 people who have DACA,” she said.

Several students have talked to Salazar to express their fear and concerns of being deported, of not being valued, and of their safety.

“(They asked me) why they are studying now if they won’t be able to go to college or get a job afterward? That’s very real. Students are afraid, students are very confused and very angry at this decision,” Salazar said. 

Senior Edgar Arevalo expressed his own personal fears as a DACA participant.

“I won’t be able to have a working permit after March. My permit ends in the middle of April. You can only renew it if yours ends before March 5. I won’t be able to work anymore. I don’t know what I have planned (for the future). I was planning on trying to go to college, but now with this, I can’t focus,” he said.

Students are not only worried about themselves but their families as well.

“I’m not the only member of my family that benefits from DACA. It’s very upsetting to find out that something so beneficial to our futures is being taken from us. Without DACA, my future seems like a rough path,” a student who wished to be anonymous said.

In Texas, Denisse Romero also worries about the potential obstacles the removal of DACA might cause for students.

“A lot of students that didn’t have documents were able to continue their education and get better jobs because of DACA. Now that it has been removed, students’ education will end after high school. It upsets me that kids will not be able to (apply for DACA),” she said.

The school will hold an informational meeting for students and families regarding DACA on Monday at 6 p.m in commons.

On Thursday, according to the New York Times, President Donald Trump stated that, “he supports legislation that would protect young undocumented immigrants from deportation” and that he and the Democratic Party are “working on a plan for DACA.”

No further details have been given about what will happen to DACA.

(Full disclosure: Denisse Romero is relative of editor in chief Mayeli Vivaldo.)