Terrorist act leaves students owning their voice

A bomb went off in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood that injured 28 people on Sept. 17.

By Hector Cervantes, Reporter

Ahmad Khan Rahami is facing a second-degree possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose charge after being suspected in a terrorist bombing. Rahami allegedly put a bomb at a train station in Elizabeth, New Jersey and one in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood that injured 29 on Sept. 17. A homeless man found the bomb in Elizabeth. Rahami’s wife, who hasn’t been named, left the country 10 days before he allegedly planted the bombs at multiple locations in New York and New Jersey, according to a report by the New York Daily News. His mother, Najiba Rahami, left the country three weeks ago and has not returned.

Q: How do you feel about the New York City and New Jersey bombings?

“I find it weird. How does a homeless guy find a bomb in the parking lot?” senior Andrew Velazquez said.

20160926_075154

“I feel like it is all a act. We are always constantly dealing with terrorism and bombs and shootings. It is really depressing that we have to lose lots of innocent people,” sophomore Marya Shamas said.

img_1691

“I think that the person doing that is really stupid. The people who do this are extremist,” freshman Nathan Hiltner said.

img_1693

“I feel like there should be more security for people to feel safe,” junior Megan Olson said.

img_1701

“I think it is very disgraceful how people want to harm others,” senior Kathryn DeJong said.

img_1702

“Being in Chicago it does feel a little bit frightening. A lot of innocent people are hurt and many people do not think about this,” senior Justin Babor said.img_1694